Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats with my tomato plants!?

Posted by silverchez 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 22:30

Hi all,

I am at a loss for what is eating my tomato plants. I've been spraying with neem/insecticidal soap and they still look horrible. I can't tell if these are from pests or disease. Any insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats with my tomato plants!?

First guess would be mold/fungus which spreads due to poor watering practices.

Simple rule of thumb;

Most molds/funguses are in the soil.
When watering never let the water splash on the plant.

Don't spray water on your tomato plants unless you absolutely have to.

If you don't have drip irrigation I highly recommend you install one. It's cheap and lasts for many years.

I'm sure many will disagree with my on what I'm about to write but here goes.

Spray the plants with Daconil to protect them from soil born molds and funguses.

If you have a serious insect problem use a real insecticide that is rated as safe to spray up to the day of harvest. I would recommend "Spectracide Triazicide Once and Done".

o

Thisisme,

Thanks for your insight; I was thinking I have had had fungus gnats, but wasn't sure about the mold/fungus part. The affected plants have been removed and I will be making some adjustments to my watering. I do have a drip line, but I temporarily took it out when I built the raised beds.

o

Silverchez many vegetables like peppers, squash and tomatoes are susceptible to soil born molds and funguses. Once infected there are all kinds of Plant Diseases named for them. It’s the simple things that allow them to get infected. It’s much easier to prevent than it is to get rid of which is why when it comes to tomatoes good plant culture should always be stressed.

Fungus gnats are more often than not due to over watering. So you may want to back off on the watering just a little. Or, perhaps the drip irrigation will solve that problem too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here