Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ant poison that works needed!!!!!!

Posted by zone10aridgardener (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 22:55

Does anyone know a homemade ant poison other than windex that will kill arizonas pesky spring and summer ants??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ant poison that works needed!!!!!!

It's not homemade, but the only thing I've found that really works is Amdro. I wouldn't put it anywhere near something you'll be eating, but the ants are gone in 24 hours.

If there's specific areas you don't want the ants, you can plant catnip or spread shredded cedar. They don't seem to like either one.

I've also heard Borax is a good non-toxic ant killer (check the laundry detergent aisle). Spread the powder or make a solution and spray.

o

Borax or boric acid will build up in the dirt and start causing problems because boron is toxic to plants when it is excessive. (necessary, but you can overdose them)

I use AMDRO for those ant hills that are causing me problems when I garden, such as the ones right where I need to walk to harvest.

If they are foraging where I don't want them - not a problem now that there is no pet food outside - I spray the trails with ammonia diluted into water (Windex!)

If they are tending aphids on my plants, I let the aphids have a dose of oil/soap spray to kill them.

o
thanks

I will be sure to test it out. Thanks for the help.

o

Baby powder actually works to stop them. I don't think it kills them. We have kids and had an ant invasion. Someone said to try baby powder and we used the lavender scented baby powder and it actually worked.

o

goto the garden section at frys, and buy some of dave the garden guy's diatomaceous earth insect control.. it's food grade so it wont harm your plants or animals, you can actually eat it (but i wouldn't advise it) and dont ingest it.. just sprinkle it down like you would borac acid and the diatomaceous earth cuts through the ant's exoskeleton causing them to dehydrate.. its the only "mechanical" insecticide and is guaranteed to work

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here