Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed source for Acacia stenophylla

Posted by trini1 FL10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 07 at 0:01

Hello,
Does any one know a seed source for acacia stenophylla-shoestring acacia.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed source for Acacia stenophylla

I had 2 of these trees. Yup, had. I took them down for good reason, too so will share my experience. Sorry to rain on your parade. I do hope it helps.
Cracking: The trees have an upright habit resulting in narrow crotches. This lead to cracks and since this is an upright tree the cracks occured well above anyone's head making them difficult to deal with. Arborists tell me this is not uncommon in these trees.
Reseeding: Acacia stenophylla seed production is huge and from my experience a zillion percent of them are viable.
Conside those graceful strings of pearls hanging in quantity from a mature tree, these are all seeds...
They also will sprout from lateral roots at a distance from the trunk of the tree. I'm not sure if these sprouts can become actual trees but they are unsightly.
This occurred both before I removed the trees and after removing the trees. Yup, the roots are still actively producing sprouts. The roots of 2 trees that are not even here anymore are still using soil resources including water. So even though these trees are no longer there they are using soil resources that would otherwise be available to other plants.
Trash: I love mulch but this tree drops tons of stuff all year. The leaves are leathery and dont compost easily. And the seeds that are in that mulch make it more useless.
Experiences of friends: A friend who takes care of trees in city parks tells me that Shoestring acacias drop stuff constantly and that this leaves stains on pavement. Another friend also had them spouting from lateral roots in his yard.
Lousy near pools: The leaves are very long and narrow and leathery and grow even more so when wet making them a real hazard for pool pumps. This tree is on some pool tree lists! Be careful of those lists.
Moral of the story for me has been: Trees in parks and parking lots are in very different circumstances than our yards and should not be relied on entirely for examples.
The lists of recommended plants have probably not been improved since written so consider them with caution.

o
RE: Seed source for Acacia stenophylla

Wow, thanks for the information. I had no idea. The last thing I need in the garden is something that wants to be invasive. And suckers too. I recently saw it while at a garden tour and it looked so nice. It was a small tree but still. I am glad you told me before I made the mistake. Reminds me of the time I planted running bamboo (in Florida) and ended up digging trenches all over my yard to get it out. Never want to experience any thing like that again.
Thanks
Trini1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here