Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cute little weed? Or can I keep it? :-)

Posted by zzini Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 0:26

This cute little thing popped up near my aloes and looks kind of intriguing. I've never seen it before and I'm chalking it up to the weird and wet winter we had. Any ideas what it is and whether I should encourage it?

From May 8, 2010

I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the flowers are yellow puffballs and the foliage is rather lacy, but sturdy. It's leaning toward the sun so I assume it would be more upright if it were in full sun.

ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cute little weed? Or can I keep it? :-)

I think it's tansy, Tanacetum vulgare, and sure, let it grow if you like it. You'll probably find them seeded all over your yard, but if you don't mind - and I wouldn't - enjoy it.

o

I don't know this one nor do I have it, but I do let certain native annuals grow around our place. They can be lovely when we get enough rain. My favorite is desert primrose, wow, what a wonderful fragrance and a beautiful blossom

o

• Posted by zzini Sunset 13 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 15, 10 at 10:01

@judy - great! anything with "vulgare" as part of its botanical name is welcome in my yard!! :-) I did find a couple more - which I'm glad to see since I've been fighting a ten year battle with prostrate spurge and some icky, prickly things, the more native wildflowers and annuals I can get growing, the better!

@softmentor - I agree, I'll let most of them grow. I'm trying to get some Mexican primrose to take (I know - they take over - but I've got an acre of emptiness to fill) but the bunnies are determined to shear it to the ground!

o

zzini,

That looks cool, do you have a close-up shot of the blooms?

MM

o

• Posted by zzini Sunset 13 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 17, 10 at 0:15

@mangledmind - here's a close-up, it's a little fuzzy, but you can see they're just little puffs of yellow. My friend thinks it's an invasive-ish weed so I'll have to keep an eye on it!
From Plants around the homestead

o

One person's invasive weed is another's wildflower.:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here