Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xill

Suggestions for additional privacy

xill
11 years ago

I'd like to get some suggestions from people for some additional privacy above my fence. I have a west-facing corner lot with a side yard that i'm trying to give a more private courtyard-type feel to. i have a 6ft cedar privacy fence, but i'd like to add more height to my privacy. i have two ideas of accomplishing this:

1) install 4x4 posts about 8ft apart along the inside perimeter of the fence and attach lattice or construction wire between them for some evergreen vines to grow up and over like a row of arbors. this could easily add another 4-6ft of privacy above the fenceline depending on the height i choose for the posts.

2) the other option is to plant small evergreen trees or large shrubs around the perimeter that won't grow taller than maybe 15ft, and that can be trimmed from 6ft down. i don't want to completely block the fence because i'd like to still be able to access it for servicing and future replacement.

So... what plants would you suggest for either scenario, or perhaps a mix of both scenarios? Oleanders/Yellow Oleanders, or other highly toxic plants are not an option for me, i have three small boys and a dog and would rather not take the chance ;) Also, if vines are chosen, i'm guessing i would need vines that would not get "woody" or heavy so they don't eventually pull down the posts or lattice/wire, is that correct? I had considered Bougainvillea, but I have too many of them already and would like something different for this area...

Any other ideas/suggestions are appreciated :)

Comments (11)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

I feel like a broken record - lady banks roses.

{{!gwi}}

There's a 5' chain link fence behind them 'thar roses.

{{!gwi}}

Pardon the messy yard, we've built a deck around the hot tub and put in gardens with those straw wattles since then. And that black 'trellis' is covered in jasmine that is in bloom.

Mary - who's off to that hot tub now to relieve an aching back from a bad office chair event yesterday.

{{!gwi}}

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

Hi, The lady banks does good on hot walls, but they do cover it, making it hard to get to the wall for repairs, without cutting alot off..I like the trellis idea, as you can make that pretty tall. Plus the shade would be an added benefit to the privacy. Even going with Banks, they could then grow up and over, making a cool arbor underneath. We are hotter (yep, it's possible) down here in the lower desert, and they held up wonderfully. Once you can shade the roots of other plants, you could have a lovely garden under there..

• ra
    11 years ago

bamboo maybe?

• xill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the lady banks and have seriously considered it, but I was under the impression from alot of other posts that it gets very heavy. I'm not opposed to taking an electric hedge trimmer to it once a month either though if that's enough to keep it in check, but i don't want to shell out too much for a super-strong trellis. that's why i was thinking more along the lines of morning glorys as they get thick but they don't get woody and heavy. or maybe this doesn't matter? I'm really not sure just how sturdy my trellis would need to be, but I don't want to have to rebuild it every few seasons either. Also, i forgot to mention that the vines would be planted on the east side of the fence, so the roots will be protected in shade all day.

• xill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is what i was thinking for the trellis, only a bit taller and wire/vines across only the top third:

http://cdn-media.gardenguides.com/media/images/attachments/000000/30/65/000000/70/39/MTMzOTcwMTY1MzA6.jpg

11 years ago

Yeah, the lady banks would be too heavy for that. What about bower vine? It's pretty hardy, I *think* it's evergreen...queens' wreath, although that one is deciduous. The yellow bells and/or orange bells, honeysuckle.....or go annual, put something different spring or fall....that can get to be a lot of work though.

Ahhhh, clematis?

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Bower vine is very pretty with either white or pink blooms. It's evergreen and although I lost all my snail vines to frost, it didn't blink. I can also recommend Hall's honeysuckle for the same reasons.

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Green timber bamboo

• xill
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What if we decided to plant tall shrubs and train them as trees instead? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use? I know bougainvillea would do very well in this spot, but due to the high winds on that side of the property i think the bracts would become a pain to clean up all the time. Is there anything else will less litter (besides oleanders) that would grow just as quickly and nicely as bougainvillea? I'm considering ficus benjamina for this as well because the trunks can be trained in interesting ways, same as the bougainvillea "trees"...

11 years ago

You might look at thevtia, it's a cousin to oleander, not noxious as far as I know, and can be trained into a pretty tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thevtia

• plstqd
    11 years ago

Thevetia peruviana is beautiful, but it is highly toxic.