Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Artichoke, celery

tracydr
12 years ago

Planning to grow artichoke and celery this year. When should I start the seed indoors? Also onions.

I've grown lots of green onions, leeks and garlic but never tried for big, long storage onions.

Does anyone grow potatoes? I'd like to try new potatoes but no idea when to plant or which variety would do best here. Just want little boiling potatoes or maybe fingerlings.

Comments (6)

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has grown these?
    Also, any thoughts on artichoke varieties? I have my eyes on the purple artichoke. I have some tavor seeds already. I'd heard the globe artichokes dont take the heat well.
    I love anything purple so am thinking about purple cauliflower, broccoli, beans, peas, kale, red onions, cabbage, red lettuce, and artichokes. But, if purple artichokes are a big mistake please let me know.
    The tabor seeds are supposed to flower the first season. I don't know if that really matters if I start them in the summer for spring flowers, since they would winter over, but would be cool to get fall chokes too.
    Any suggestions on celery would be great. I'm thinking mainly about cutting celery, since I learned that lovage won't grow here. I use tons of celery for soups in the winter and it's loaded with pesticides. The organic is so darn expensive. We don't really eat the stems much as a snack but I guess if it was tastier than the bland grocery store stuff we probably would.
    I heard Yuma is a huge celery producer!

• Haname
    12 years ago

I personally haven't grown these but did see some beautiful artichoke plants in an urban garden when we were downtown a few weeks ago. Maybe the link below can give you some assistance.

This fall I plan to try growing some red potatoes using one of those grow bags. Seems like a pretty good way to do it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Guide

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Tracy, I grew some celery this past winter season. It's just now fizzing out but it's been tasty and fun to grow. I think I had inherited some celery seed packs somewhere along the way and I just sprinkled them at one end of the raised bed. Sowed much too thickly - that's a habit of mine. :-[

I read somewhere to cover the stalks with something to keep the sun off so they do not turn green. Didn't understand the purpose so did not bother with it but am now thinking it may keep the stalks from becoming tough. I have been cutting at the base and chop fine for tuna and chicken salad and it's fine. Trying to just munch on a stalk was arduous.

The article said they will come back from the roots next year. I'll probably turn the entire bed though when I add more compost so that may not work for me. We'll see. It's a winter grower though. HTH.

• sundrop07
    12 years ago

Tracy,potatoes should be planted mid Jan thru Mid Feb but I've heard you can grow them in the fall too. Reds do well here. I've never grown celery as I heard it isn't cool enough and can be bitter but maybe not. I don't have room for artichokes, I just found some purple brussel sprouts at Adaptive Seeds and think I'll try them in the fall. If you want to grow onions from seed look for short day types and start them in pots soon so they'll size up for late Oct. planting. I've had good luck ordering onion plants from Dixondale Farms, a good company and good onions. Don't look for them at Home Depot as they usually get them in around March or later and that's way too late to plant.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, great info! Especially about the celery and red potatoes. I've got some short day onion seeds and will plant when I do garlic, if I don't start in flats earlier. May have to check out the purple Brussels sprouts!

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to start some celery and artichokes from seed in the house real soon. Sounds like they need a bit of time to germinate and get established.
    Thinking about trying those red potatoes in the fall and again in January. New potatoes, yum!
    I'm also planning to order Creole garlic this fall which will be new for me.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!