Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Planting Palo Verde in Bad Soil

happs
9 years ago

Just removed an extensive Saltillo tile patio with 4"-5" of concrete base and all was hauled away. Will replace with smaller paver patio and the remainder will essentially be 3/4" rock. I wanted to plant a 24" boxed Desert Museum palo verde tree in the rock area and I started to dig the necessary large hole for the tree. WOW! The first 4"-5" of dirt is as hard as concrete, but I have made some progress, although very slowly. I dig and then fill the hole with water in the hope of softening the dirt and have noticed that the water takes nearly a day to dissipate and the upper 4"-5" is still hard, but the bottom and sides have loosened-up. What soil amendments should I use for the back-fill when planting the tree? Should I use anything in the hole prior to planting the tree that will break-up the caliche like soil? Do you think the tree will make it? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I think I answered this on another forum.

Did you post it multiple places?

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Since this hybrid gets 25 feet wide you want to plant it no closer to the house than 12-13 feet.
    http://www.amwua.org/plant_detail.html?recordid=14

1. Amendments? ... nothing the tree is adapted for here and our soils.

2. You either have a serious compacted layer or a caliche layer that is preventing your hole from draining. Any tree, but especially a desert adapted one, will not survive long unless you fix the drainage. You must punch through a small hole up to four feet down off to the side of or underneath the tree as a drain to break through the layer and get that hole draining. If you can get the planting hole filled with water to drain within 24 hours it will be all right though 2" drainage per hour (six hours or less) would be better.

3. If that does not work then break up (not dig up) the ground about four to five feet out and up to a one foot depth (use a shovel or fork spade) and then plant the tree on a raised bed of native soil. You may have to PROPERLY stake the tree the first few months to keep it upright. Loosening the current soil before planting on top of it will allow some drainage and root penetration.

3. If it does work plant at or somewhat above grade in a hole 4 times the diameter of the root ball and only as deep or slightly shallower than the root ball bottom. This will loosen the compacted soil--which seems severe and is not something the tree is used to--and allow the roots to grow out.

4. Water the new tree frequently but only half as frequently as temperate trees are watered (a young tree desert watering schedule).

After the first year, I would stop watering it except at times when it is really dry, windy and hot in June. And after it gets well established (2-4 years), especially if you swale it so the rain from the roof floods a planting basin around it there should be no need to water it even then. Overwatering will cause it to grow rapidly forming foamy wood that will break in the wind.

http://extension.arizona.edu/pubs/az1048.pdf

http://extension.arizona.edu/pubs/az1429.pdf

http://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/az1298.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: watering

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Thu, May 22, 14 at 19:48

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

I have had much better luck with the Sonoran Emerald hybrid palo verde than the Desert Museum. Had 2 DM break off at ground level on 2 different occasions. Since then I've planted the SE at three different homes and all have been far superior.

The Sonoran Emerald sports more of a blue-green color to its bark and leaves. A fast growing tree, it produces a bit more shade that the DM because its canopy is slightly more dense. It's leaves are a bit longer and this gives it a little more graceful look. In April it is covered with typical yellow flowers. Produces few, if any, seed pods.

They are grown locally and should be available at most retail nurseries.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Fascinating AZTreeLvr. Baker apparently carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker homegrown

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

Now where might I fit another tree???

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner