Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secausey

Plant exchange?

scausey
12 years ago

I just re-discovered GardenWeb from my gardening past in Maryland, where we had some great plant exchanges and gatherings of "plant people."I know that things grow much more slowly here, so that excess is rare, but I wonder if the group gets together to exchange experience in person?

Comments (7)

• ra
    12 years ago

I think people do a fall and spring plant swap here, although I've never participated in it yet.

I'm not sure where you got the idea of plants growing much slower here, since our growing season is much longer here. Most of the plants I have grow quite quickly. Especially the Canna lillies. I started with only 3 of them last spring and ended up with over 30-40 rhizomes of them this past february. I sold some and gave the rest away to friends.

• scausey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I was thinking of cacti, mostly. I used to have to dig up my cannas in MD- I'll have to try them again!

• HU-17497
    12 years ago

i would be up for it, allthough i dont know what i could contribute except for seeds.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

The group over at the SW Gardening forum on Dave's Garden website (a fee based site) has two plant swaps. Last weekend was the spring swap and there is another one in the fall. Last fall I set it up for a ramada at North Mountain Park and posted an invitation here and also at Valley Permaculture Alliance. A couple from here came as well as one person from VPA.

Last weekend's spring swap was hosted at someone's house so I did not feel I could open it up to the public but if I'm involved in helping to organize the fall swap, I will definately post here and VPA. The more the merrier methinks. It's probably getting too hot now.

Folks bring seeds, plants, sometimes food but generally it's a fun, social gathering and folks are encouraged to come whether they have plants/seeds or not. Just to get more gardening conversations. You have plenty of time to think about what plants you could bring to the fall swap. :-)))

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Where and when are the fall swap? I don't subscribe to Dave's.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Location varies but we all seemed to enjoy North Mtn Park, that's 7th St and Cactus (I think).

Steele Indian School Park, at Central and Indian School used to be good but last fall I was told they do not reserve ramadas anymore.

We've gone to Papago a few times but I believe there is a fee involved.

Also, I'm thinking it was the 2nd Sat in Ocotober. It seems Sept can still be too hot. I'll be happy to post when it starts to get organized. I like to see more folks from other forums, one big gardening buddies group. VPA has seed swaps too, and that's a free site, Tracy I think I've seen you post there too.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mary! I do go to the permaculture site, not often but maybe once a month.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting