Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for desert composters

Posted by haname z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 1:42

This question wouldn't apply to most of the people in the composting forum because we have a unique situation here in that much of our bare earth is covered with gravel. Mine is, anyway. And when I rake up the flowers and leaves to collect them for my compost, I find that I do pick up some of this gravel too. I try to avoid it by raking very lightly, but still end up with rocks with my leaves. Does anyone have some helpful suggestions for me about keeping gravel out of my compost as much as possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for desert composters

I have had the same issue collecting leaves for composting. My boss uses a yard blower/vacuum to blow the leaves into a pile then vacuums up the leaves. I have never tried it, but I occasionally take the green compost bin from my work to use for my home compost and it rarely has rocks. I would imagine you have to vacuum carefully to avoid sucking up rocks along with the leaves, but it is a lot better than raking.

o

get rid of the rock. I hate rock. I got rid of mine.

o

Depending on the area (if you care how it looks). You could lay a plastic sheet down. Just an idea.

o

Thanks for the replies. :) I do have a blower/mulcher, so I will definitely give that a try

o

I have the same problem. I don't know how to not get the gravel out, but heres a tip: put coffee grinds in your compost, it loosens it up!

o

The blower vacs are supposed to drop the gravel as you pick up the vac. I think it keeps the light stuff and drops the heavy stuff. I've had decent luck with this. You can tell when you suck up a rock and it is not that often. It also grinds the stuff up as it sucks it up.

I'm not sure if that's good for compost or not. I would like to start composting but don't really know what to do. I've heard that people here have problems with pack rats and such if it's on the ground. Anybody got tips? I want a nice composter but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I like the ones that are above ground but they are over $300 I think.

o

The easiest and best way of picking up leaves without gravel is to use an electric blower and blow everything into a corner of the yard and the I take two rakes and pick them up like using chopsticks and dump them in the compost pile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here