Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vkmcgee2

Oleanders

vkmcgee2
11 years ago

Hi all, Here is the problem. On the East side of my house along the property line my neighbor has planted about seven young oleanders. As we all know, oleanders are a beautiful, messy, poisonous plant. They are planted about six inches from the small brick wall on my property line. Technically, I guess you could say she planted them on my property, because my little brick wall is about six inches on my side of the property line. She's a nice lady and if she wants the oleanders I'm not going to say anything. I haven't planted anything on the small spit of land beside my driveway yet. My property is situated along N,S, E, W compass points. My carport is next to the East side of the property and she planted along that side. So the sun will travel from one side of the oleanders causing shadows along the small spit of land beside the driveway, over top at noon then I would think the land between the oleanders and the driveway will be in the sun after noon goes by.

Now here is the question, do you think once the oleanders grow tall anything I plant there will not get enough sun, and what do you think I should plant? The area is about 10 feet long by 3 feet wide. I worry she'll let them grow unhampered without trimming them and it may be hard to see on coming traffic when I back out of the driveway.

I hope I explained things well enough.

So, anyone have any input on this conundrum?

Anything I plant will need to be drought tolerant,and need little care.

Comments (3)

• neurotic
    11 years ago

She may not be aware that she planted them on your property. I'd assume the wall was the property line as well. If I were you I would probably catch her while she is outside watering and ask her what her plans for the hedge is. Problem solved.
    That said, almost every plant I've come across appreciates a little shade in the desert regardless how drought tolerant. It would be better if that shade was in the afternoon of course, but in my opinion the lack of morning sun probably wouldn't do any damage.

PS it is also "possible" she planted a dwarf type oleander.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

IF she planted dwarf oleanders, you may be worrying needlessly. I would ask her just what they are. If they're the ordinary, unruly, messy, always-dropping-something kind, I think I'd offer to pay her now to take them out! We once owned the house next door and there are oleanders planted next to our back yard fence. Sure enough, the person we sold to **never** takes care of them and my back patio/work area is a constant mess. I could kick myself for not cutting the blasted things down when I had the house. You might nicely remind her that once you plant on your side of the fence, you will have to keep *her* oleanders trimmed away from your property. It is your legal right to trim any vegetation overhanging your property line - and it is quite often the beginning of a fight when you do. It is much better to have an understanding between two neighbors before ever getting to that point.

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't know there was such a thing as dwarf Oleanders. I'll ask her next time I see her. I'll also talk to her about trimming and mention that it will have to be trimmed shorter close to the street. I don't mind chipping in on the work and I don't mind the property line being blurred right there. I have to admit I've been lax on my landscaping lately due to health and the fact that sudden cold snaps in the past two years have killed many of my plants. My aloe are all but dead. They look dead but the roots are OK in a few areas. I have a terrible crab grass problem along there. I don't know how many times I've cleared it out of there. Lois and I both have the same problem, we can't work in the sunlight. We have to restrict our gardening to dusk, dark or dawn, lol, isn't getting old fun? I hope she did get the dwarf but the plant selection around here isn't very large.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!