Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr2010

weeds/grass - what is it and how do i get ride of it? photos incl

mr2010
13 years ago

i have this patch of grass/weeds between my lawn and ficus tree. I have pulled these several times and they come back. I have sprayed them with with weed killer, they come back.

anyone know what type of grass this is and how to kill it?

{{gwi:403090}}
{{gwi:403091}}
{{gwi:403092}}

Comments (8)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I recently purchased a product that is supposed to kill grass but not harm non-grass type vegetation. Have not used it yet, waiting for temps to stay about 85° consistently (and in coordination with my schedule). It's called "Grass Getter, a postemergence grass killer". I found it at Ewing's Irrigation Supply.

It's my understanding that the chemical ornamec is the ingredient you want to look for. Another product is called "Over The Top" but I could not find that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewing Irrigation Locations

• anitamo
    13 years ago

It looks like nutsedge. Very hard to get rid of, but google if for a positive ID and more info. I manually pull out hundreds every spring from my beds. the key is to get them pulled while young...before they produce bulbs.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

mr2010,

You could lay down some black weed block fabric or black plastic sheeting, leave it for a week or so and it will kill it off, without using chemicals, similar to hot composting. Just cut openings for plants that you do not want to kill off. :)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

ummmm, in my experience it takes much longer than a week to kill off bermuda or nut-grass. And if you cut a hole for plants to get through, rest assured the grasses will wriggle through as well. I embrace organic solutions but sometimes you just gotta use a sledge-hammer.

• nc_crn
    13 years ago

Nutsedge will blow itself through most plastic and fabric.

The tips of nutsedge, especially when young, are sharp and stiff/strong. It is a beast of a horrible weed. It's easy to pull, but it can reproduce very easily from tuber pieces.

The best management is to kill/pull (I prefer pulling) when *VERY* young...before they have a chance to set or recharge their tuber.

Start pulling and keep pulling (especially before it sets seed) for the next few years...or you can use a herbicide treatment, but given that can take days I wouldn't want to give nutsedge any advance vs. pulling.

Eradication is very very hard. There's no spray and walk away forever treatment for it. You'll need some patience, but at least it's a small plot to watch over and control.

• nc_crn
    13 years ago

I should say that stronger landscape fabrics will work and it will at the very least suppress it. It may be worth buying a small block of it since your area you're trying to control is so small. Black plastic does little to nothing, though.

• aztreelvr
    13 years ago

Marymcp - there is a product that kills nutsedge called "Sedgehammer". Here are several products that work on this pesty weed.

Imidazolinone and sulfonylurea herbicides
    Imazaquin (Image*)
    Halosulfuron (SedgeHammer* [Manage*])
    Trifloxysulfuron (Monument*)
    Sulfosulfuron (Certainty*)

You'll need to follow label directions and make multiple applications usually at 2 - 4 week intervals. Some have limits to the number of applications during the year.

If you can't find these at your local nursery, try an irrigation supply store like Horizon, Ewing or Sprinkler World.

• mr2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i should add, that this type of grass also is apparent in small section of my lawn adjacent to the area I photographed.

I googled nutsedge and the photos look similar to what I have. anyone know if any of the products at home depot would work on it?