Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Yellow Invansion

Posted by the_adams (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 3:38

I have a potted pony tail palm and I just noticed a mushy, yellow substance growing on the base of the tree, partially in the soil.

Any idea what this might be, if it is endangering the health of my plant and what I should do to get rid of it?

Thanks!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Yellow Invansion

It's a little blurry, but it's most likely slime mold. scape it out, cut back on the water and you can treat it with a fungicide if it comes back. You may want to consider repotting the plant with fresh garden soil.

o

Thanks so much for the feedback. Sorry about the blurry pic, I was trying to take it at night. I did some google research and I am sure this is what I have!

My DH has been out of work with broken ribs and has taken over the plant watering for me. I think he has been a little over zealous!

It's hard to tell, but the plant is in a huge pot. It's going to be quite an undertaking to take out & repot. How neccassary do you think this is? I certainly don't want to lose this guy, so probably better safe then sorry.

If I do replace the soil, what should I do about the soil gathered to the root ball?

Cheers

o

Sorry for the late response, it was a very busy week. It's hard to tell from the picture how big the PTP is. If you decide to repot you can try a messy technique I call the "Mr Miagi" ...wash off...wash on. Have plenty of well draining fresh potting soil on hand. Take the plant out side and remove it from the pot, soil and-all. Use a garden hose and chopsticks or similar wooden instrument and wash away the potting soil from the roots using the chopsticks to poke gently into the root ball to loosen the soil. BE GENTLE. Place the plant on a bed of potting soil in the new pot to bring it to the level you want. Pile potting soil loosley around the plant and water it into the root ball. Let drain and repeat til the soil is back to the original level on the caudex. Take your time but do it all at one time so the plant is only soaked for one day.

o

I brought a pony tail palm in a container to the desert and just dug a hole and put it in the ground. Still 4 years later, it's doing just fine.

However that yellow stuff looks familiar. We had a half used bag of potting soil sitting in the warm garage, and opened it the other day to be used to plant some grape vines. OMG! It was covered with that stuff!!

We scraped it off, and left the bag of soil outside to dry out I think the sun and dryness should take care of that creepy stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here