Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike69o

Hot Summer Plants-Flowers

I am looking for some ideas as what to plant on an area of about 15x5 along a west facing wall. It is just gravel right now. All ideas and pictures would be much appreciated.

Comments (9)

• timber334
    9 years ago

Sunflowers, pumpkins, watermelon, squash, yard long beans, Armenian cucumbers etc. I don't have much planted on the west facing side, its where the kids pool is.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Hiya Mike and all,

Neat discussion. I like all of timber's suggestions for sure.

If you're looking for annual flowers you can plant vincas (they're often perennial here, but will melt if they freeze). They are one of THE best summer flowering annuals here, blooming from late spring through very late autumn. I love them in containers and in the ground. Lantana will love that location too, so if you're open to it (there are lots of haters out there, LOL, and it's fun) you can definitely grow those. Some of the more durable emu bushes (Eremophila) will be fine in a spot like that, as would hesperaloe (H. parviflora, sometimes called "red yucca"), which is a fun perennial. Annual zinnias will be fine there too, as long as they get regular watering. It's grown for foliage more than flowers, but ornamental sweet potatoes could add a very nice zesty look, especially when the chartreuse and the burgundy types are planted together (I just did that in a big raised bed in my back garden today). If you want annuals, my vote would be vincas, if you want perennials, my vote would be lantana or hesperaloe.

I'm sure lots of other folks will have suggestions too. Let us know what you select and how it works out!

Happy gardening,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden, so far, May 2014

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys,

Timber, the sunflower idea is pretty good, but as far as fruits and vegies I plan on having a raised bed garden in the north-east corner of my yard sometime this fall.

Grant, thanks for all the ideas, I have a couple of red yuccas in the front yard, I like them but I am afraid they might take over the whole area. The lantana and vinca idea I like.

How about some of the mini oleanders and vincas in the front?

Decisions, decisions, decisionsâ¦:-)

• timber334
    9 years ago

I am also in STV, and have lived all over the state. I like this area its not quite as hot as downtown. I have had oleanders, they smell decent and will grow on a west facing wall. But I will never plant one on purpose.

One plant you could plant there is okra, its a perrenial here, edible, and can tollerate some nasty high temperatures.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Good point about hesperaloe, Mike, they DO love it here and often need to be divided when grown in smaller spots. I don't mind the job, but it IS a job, lol.

Let us know what you select and how it works out. Pics would be awesome of course! Keep us posted! Happy gardening all!

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess what my wife found at Fry's garden center yesterday. One gallon hesperaloe for $1.19 each, she got all three of them, so that is that. I am not sure I want to plant them now...too hot to start digging. I might just wait till fall. Wonder what to plant in front of them....

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Abutilon palmeri (Superstition Mallow) ... soft fuzzy grey leaves and vivid orange blossoms on a 3x3x3 bush. Low water use, AZ native.

Trellis the wall and plant Armenian cucumbers - they LOVE the heat.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

I love Lazy's suggestion about Superstition mallow being an option too.

As far as what to plant with hesperaloe, one of my favorite combinations is hesperaloe with variegated Portulacaria afra (dinosaur food, elephant food).

Keep us posted and have fun!
    Grant

• mingtea
    9 years ago

When established asclepias subulata and euphorbia rigida are lovely together. Euphorbia tirucalli, tephrocactus articulatans and pedilanthus macrocarpus would also look good and fare well on a low water schedule.

-Ming