Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What flower is this?

Posted by mangledmind AZ 9B (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 9:11

Was walking around a church and spotted this, and wonder what is it?

FIRE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What flower is this?

Red Bird of Paradise, sometimes referred to as the Mexican Bird of Paradise

o

Do you often talk to yourself mangled? Maybe that's what's in a name? ;-)

o

LOL Mary ... it was driving me nuts tryin to figure out what this was, so I went a searchin AFTER I posted the question to the group ... LOL :)

o

LOL, yup good old red bird of paradise (some folks now call it "red bop" saying the letters for Red Bird of Paradise as "bop", lol). Caesalpinia pulcherrima. It's a great plant for this climate--loves heat, loves sun. It sulks in winter and most folks cut it to 12-24 inches right after New Year to get the new shoots for form low on the plant so they're at eye level in summer. It'll get taller if you don't trim it back, but it does get leggy. Hacked to 12 inches in late winter, it's a beauty.

Oh, and there's a yellow version of the same species called "Phoenix", so yup, there's a yellow red bird of paradise, LOL. Just like with Hesperaloe parviflora, the "red yucca" which also has a yellow form, yellow "red yucca", heh heh.

Yellow bird of paradise is Caesalpinia gilliesii which is another fun plant, much taller, much leggier, but with neat yellow blooms and long dangling stamens. Smaller leaflets too. A little rangier, but also fun.

Great plant though! You gonna grow some??

Take care,
Grant

o

Grant, we found a Yellow BOP yesterday, was planted along a pathway at the Rio Vista Community Park, had my camera but for some unknown reason I didn't take a picture ?????? it was GORGEOUS ...

o

Hah! Maybe next time. There's a great yellow bird of paradise down the street from me and I admire it spring through autumn (though not in winter, LOL). They do a great job of keeping it trimmed enough to stay somewhat bushy, but leaving it enough time to make blooms. It looks great.

The yellow form of red bird of paradise is nice too. There are very few members of Caesalpinia that I don't like!

Take care!
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here