Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foofoo_gw

brazilian pepper tree

foofoo
14 years ago

My Brazilian Pepper's leaves are turning yellow and dropping. The tree was planted two years ago and has grown to aprox. 10 feet. The yellowing leaves are mainly inside the center of the tree, although there's new growth on the ends of all the branches. Is this unusual? Am I giving it too much or not enough water? A neighbor across the street has one and it's thriving. My tree is on a drip, but does not get a deep watering. It's a beautiful tree and I sure don't want to lose it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• greenlust
    14 years ago

I have brazilian pepper tree. During hot summer its leaves turn brown drop off. I think it needs to be deep watered, along the perimeter thats where its roots are spreading, ie away from the trunk. I deep water it once in few weeks. If you dont deep water the 100 degree temps will evaporate the water and much of it isnt reaching the roots.
    The tree is poisonous, some folks get allergic reaction when brushed against branches.

• Pam Honeycutt
    14 years ago

You might try putting a pipe in about 3 ft, one that you can cap to mow. Try watering through the pipe, you might have to let the hose run in there very slow so it has time to soak in. I was told this was a good way to deep water trees.

Gemfire

• evimush
    14 years ago

my posts disappear and I'm redirected over and over again to log in. So here is a test before I write my experience AGAIN on my 3 Brazilian Pepper Trees

• evimush
    14 years ago

Of the 3 Brzilian Pepper trees I have, one is doing fine in the shrub zone in the front yard getting a drip everyday. The other two are terrible on the east side of house in the tree zone where they get deep watered weekly as of now. They don't like weekly deep watering and respond to more water, but they don't like a lot of water either. My neighbors had 2 die.

It's ironic considering in the FL, CA, HI forums where I first found info, that the tree is a pest, invasive and hard to irradicate. It must like more humid, less hot weather, then goes crazy. Only in Morocco did someone write that as a street tree, it's really useful there.

I'm guessing here in AZ it likes a more sheltered place with surrounding shade and watered like a tropical plant - daily on a drip and hit by the pop ups

• greenlust
    14 years ago

My brazilian pepper tree is in the lawn, its doing well with the daily dose of lawn water. last week i gave it a good soaking thinking it will do better with more water, but it dropped lot of leaves. The tree is hard to trim and shape, it has weak branches and keep going downwards.

• Hernan_fourwaysvet_com
    12 years ago

We removed lots of Brazilian pepper trees while clearing a plot , as it is regarded allien , we want to shred the branches , leaves etc . And use it as mulging . Will it be toxic for the soil and therefore the plants ??
    Regards Hernan

• tgolf4me_cox_net
    12 years ago

I have two B. Pepper trees, during our hot summer leaves were falling all you had to do is shake the tree and down came the leaves. Now that it is cooler the leaves are small in size not showing much growth

• Mitzi Spallas
    10 months ago

My Brazilian Pepper tree was not planted by me but it just showed up 20 years ago. It’s now GIGANTIC and has weeping branches over my house, specifically my deck. The leaves drop ENDLESSLY. And SO SO MANY!! Is this normal? I don’t remember this happening this much until a couple of years ago.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES