Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_12422

Blueberries

jeff_12422
12 years ago

Does anyone here grow blueberries?

Our first bush is producing well, but it didn't lose its leaves over the winter like the people at the nursery said it would. Now, however, almost all the leaves have dropped off. It is in full sun, and the top looks like it may be a bit sun burned. There are lots of berries, but very few (if any, I haven't looked this morning) leaves. Is this right? Do I need to shade it in the afternoon?

Comments (5)

• desert_dawg
    12 years ago

Most things here benefit from afternoon shade. Blueberries need acidic soil. The roots are very shallow, about 20". I amended my soil with peat & added a little soil sulfur & some coffee grounds. They seem happy & are good producers. Generally, they are done producing before it gets too hot. If you have already planted, it would probably help to add a little vinegar to the water and some sulfur to the soil to acidify it a little bit. Sunshine Blue is a lot more tolerant of our soil than most others, although my Misty plants seem happy also. I think soil replacement & afternoon shade are definitely the way to go. Mine have been in the ground for two or three years & I haven't lost any. I have about 10 plants. My problem is that I put too many plants in too small a place. Every time I see a variety I don't have I want to buy it. I think Sunshine Blue & Misty are the perfect pair to plant as they are pollinators for each other & the Sunshine Blue is a few weeks later which means you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor longer.

• jeff_12422
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. It is in a pot, so hopefully (maybe) moveable with some help. When I planted it, I added peat moss to acidify the soil, but I guess I can amend with coffee grounds, etc.

So I take it from your answer that it SHOULD have leaves at the moment?

• desert_dawg
    12 years ago

All of mine do. Some are more lush than others, but I have so many varieties that I don't even know which is which anymore. I need to do a better job marking stuff. I'm guessing yours is a Misty because you already have berries and that's what's most commonly available. My Mistys are leafy and putting on new lighter green growth and already have ripe berries. Good luck with it. You probably don't need the coffee grounds if you are growing in a pot amended with peat. You might want to try an acid loving plant food high in nitrogen.

• jeff_12422
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update and a follow-up question....

I put a cage made of 1/4" hardware cloth around the entire bush to protect it from the birds, and moved it so it will get shade from the trellis once the vines grow. Just from the cage, it has enough shade that there is lots of new growth below where the sun damage is worst, so that's a good sign.

Obviously, I'll need to trim the dead parts off, and it will need pruning before next season, but when is the best time to do this? I know for frost-damaged trees you wait til you see new growth as the dried parts protect the trees from further frost damage/cold, but when do you prune blueberry bushes?

• mrsross
    12 years ago

i'm also interested in when to prune blueberries. i have 2 new bushes we put in about 6-8 weeks ago. there are a few that look almost ripe now. But, they are still small plants so i'm not sure about pruning...
    Did anyone notice at lowes back 6-8 weeks ago, huge sale on blueberries - but only had one variety! it wasn't until i got online about to plant it that i figured out i needed at least 2. so i went to home depot and luckily they had a couple varieties. arg.