Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air-Layering Trees

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 10:34

Has anyone here in AZ ever air-layered a tree? I've been reading up on it on the forum and have found great directions to starting a new tree this way. However, I'm concerned with our very warm weather if this method is successful here during the summer.

Have you tried it and what were your results? I have a fig tree and persimmon tree I'd like to try it on. Both are about 1 1/2 years old, is that too young?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air-Layering Trees

Before I go looking for the info, can you tell us just how this is supposed to work? As for fig trees, about all you need to do is cut off a piece and stick it in soil somewhere. It's one of the easiest trees to propagate that I can think of.

o

I was thinking of doing this with a Hong Kong orchid tree and read up quite a bit on it. I was also concerned about the heat, but read a tip about wrapping the outside of the plastic and moss package with foil. That seemed like a good idea. I decided against it but not because I was afraid it wouldn't work. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

o

Tomatofreak, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it. Air-layering is the method of propagating a tree by making a "wound" on the limb, then wrap it with moist sphagnum moss which is then covered with plastic wrap. By keeping the moss moist, roots then develop which after a few months, the limb can be cut off below the roots and transplanting as a tree.

Haname, if I try it I'll post my results here.

o

Yep, that answered my question. Is it supposed to work with any tree? Regardless, with the heat we have, I think I'd wait till fall. I think sphagnum moss (or anything else) wrapped in plastic and left in this heat would steam - or boil, depending on how much water is in the packet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here