Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's With This Weather?

Posted by haname z9 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 10:41

Hi GW Friends!

Since I moved here in 1999, I can't remember a May this cool. Just checking to see if it's my imagination or if it is true that we're having unusually cool weather. We had that hard freeze last winter and now this... when is it going to get hot? My sunflowers and melons are waiting, but things in the garden are happy they have a little more time. Mr. Lincoln has lots of new growth and buds, so maybe we'll get another nice flush of roses before the heat sets in.

It would be interesting if we could get a relatively mild summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's With This Weather?

Actually May was cooler than normal last year too. Check the link below. Take a look at 2010 and compare it to 2011. Both months are generally cooler than the historical average. I think this is what climatologists call Global Warming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuweather Mesa, AZ 2010

o

Warming or cooling?

I admit, despite the late frosts, chill hours were less last winter than the one before it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoenix Chill Hours 2010-11

o

You just missed it: 1998 was extremely cool for all of May.

o

My okra is growing very slowly but I'm not complaining!

o

My okra is too, they have hardly grown at all since I planted them a few weeks ago :-/ but I'm sure they will pick up later in the summer

o

we love it ... makes for a better garden ... plants have a chance to set great roots to deal with the blistering heatwave forthcoming ...

o

So interesting! Looks like early June is expected to stay relatively cool too. I'll take it :)

o

I'm loving it! Still haven't turned on the A/C yet. May is always my lowest electric bill. Let's enjoy it while we can. :)

Happy gardening,
Grant

o

Isn't it great? I have hundreds of tomatoes set!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here