Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised or sunken beds

Posted by agility_mom z9 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 10:52

We are planning an enclosed garden structure and are trying to decide what would be the best choice for the beds inside of it. Raised beds are nice for ease of use and looks but sunken beds seem to be better for water retention. Another thing is that the raided beds using some materials take up a lot of room. Any insight or experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised or sunken beds

"Raised beds are nice for ease of use"

I can't speak for everyone but I plan on using my beds. In my book the easier they are to use the better.

o

do BOTH ... run the roof peak EAST/WEST and plant stubby plants along the south run in sunken and on the north run can be raised beds or taller plants

from experience OUTSIDE, our raised beds need more water, and are easier to work ...

o

neither one, or rather half way between...
just start with level ground, add mulch on top and pull back mulch where you need to plant. Way easiest, way cheapest, looks great, grows way best

o

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here