Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple leaf Plum, and/or Chinese evergreen Elm (Maintence)

Posted by joshua3274 Arizona (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 11:16

I just purchased a purple leaf plum and Chinese Evergreen Elm to replace to other trees that were removed from my back yard. I don't know a great deal about tress, but I wanted a relatively low maintenance tree.. After reading these posts, I'm a bit uncomfortable now. Is the Purple Plum a high maintenance tree for AZ and it apt to fail?

They are both 32" box trees, so they're already pretty big.

Also, what are your opinions on the Chinese Evergreen Elm?
They haven't planted either of them yet, so I could still drop the purple plum and go with two Chinese Evergreen Elms...

Or I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Also, help with the watering (or other care) requirements for each of these would be a great help.

Please forgive my ignorance and these matters.

Thanks.

I should note that I have a small yard...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple leaf Plum, and/or Chinese evergreen Elm (Maintence)

I have a purple plum and love it. It is the anchor of my garden area. I planted it about eight years ago as a seedling, haven't given it any special care at all (just the occasional pruning) and it is about 20 ft tall and 20 wide canopy. The only problem it has is that it doesn't really bloom much in spring, but otherwise it's been a wonderful tree.

I should add, though, that I have it in what may be a special situation. My garden is located in the side yard, squeezed between the house and two retaining walls, which in effect creates an enclosed courtyard area about 10 ft by 20 ft. I garden intensively in this small area -- lots of plants and lots of water -- and let the rest of the yard go. The result is that the plum tree gets quite a bit of water, shelter, and mulching. Not sure if that's your situation or not, but I've found planting perenials beneath the plum tree to be a great way to get them through the summers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here