Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
every1lovesjoey_

Tree ID please!

every1lovesjoey_
9 years ago

Could anyone identify what kind of tree is in the pic I posted. I was driving on the road along the Botanical Garden and I saw these lovely trees in bloom. They appear to be a desert willow of some sort but my tree doesn't seem to look like them. Anyone know the type?

Joey

Comments (6)

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another pic

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Western Redbud?

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

This is an Ironwood, a tree indeginious to the Sonoran Desert. About May 1 they bloom with pink to light lavender sweet pea shaped flowers. The wood is extremely dense and sadly is harvested for carvings sold in gift shops.

The Ironwood is often called the 'nurse tree of the desert' because so many species of plants and animals find refuge under its canopy and in its branches.

It makes a great tree for urban landscapes and is a moderate grower there.

Follow the link below for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ironwood tree

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I agree, ironwood. And yes, really nice native low water using tree with beautiful bloom. Nitrifier too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ironwood

• every1lovesjoey_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful tree! I need to add one to my yard. I hope it attracts more hummingbirds!

Joey

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Yup, definitely an ironwood, the queen of the desert trees. They're really fun plants and look great virtually all year. I buy them in bloom since they vary by individual, but even the ugliest ironwood blooms are pretty nice. They grow fairly fast when young and watered. Love them. Be prepared--their branches are very thorny! Let us know if you get one, and from where, and how it does for you. Happy gardening!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor