Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangledmind

Veggie Garden - May 15

mangledmind
13 years ago

Photo share of the veggie garden as of May 15th. ;)

{{gwi:403745}}

{{gwi:403746}}

{{gwi:403748}}

{{gwi:403750}}

{{gwi:403752}}

{{gwi:403754}}

{{gwi:403756}}

{{gwi:403758}}

{{gwi:403760}}

{{gwi:403762}}

{{gwi:403764}}

{{gwi:403767}}

Comments (9)

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

Looking really good. I think I've only seen a mushroom once in our yard. You must keep the ground nice and wet for those to grow.

Below is a link to my garden pics from a couple of days ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latest garden pics from May 13th

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mister_gin,

On your garden pics, one word: WOW.

Nice garden pics, you're garden is so far ahead. We were wondering what type of "volunteer tomato" those are, they're HUGE.

Your squash look yummy, and those tomatoes, warm with a lil salt while in the garden, :) We're coming over to help "harvest" LOL

On the mushrooms: We keep that bed fairly moist for the onions, shallots and Black Diamond watermelon. Watering schedule is every other day for 15 minutes on the drip system. I usually take the pics just as the sun comes up when the beds are still wet with dew and I have some soft light.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Nice! mangled, I'm surprised at the cilantro, I thought that was winter crop here.

mister_gin, that's quite a jungle there. Nice job. On that first volunteer tom, is the gallon jug a drip system? If so, how do you control the flow? I've tried that, got lauged at for my red-neck drip system, but it did not work very well for me. What's the trick(s)?

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marymcp,

Cilantro can be planted from September - February, February being the last planting for an early summer harvest, i.e. right now, before it goes to seed LOL

But, we can enjoy cilantro all year, if grown indoors :)

13 years ago

I need to get an indoor setup going. That project is On The List.

Thanks mangled

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

mangledmind,

A couple of those volunteer tomatoes are going to be huge. This plant probably sprouted from a seed from an Early Girl tomato that I composted last year. They're taking even longer to ripen than the Big Beef did.

marymcp,

That is a gallon jug watering that tomato plant. I've had good luck using these for watering but they're too time consuming when you have a lot to water. I'll still use them for plants that I didn't put on drip. I basically attached an 8-10 inch piece of 1/4" drip line to the bottom of the jug. It takes approximately 15 minutes to drain out. If you wanted a slower flow then you could use a 1/4" valve inline and barely open it up. I don't know if that's necessary though.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Great pics mangled and mr_gin, your crops all look very nice! Keep the updates coming, they're really fun to see.

Take care,
    Grant

13 years ago

Thanks Mister_gin....I had simply punched holes in the bottom of the gallon milk jug, didn't think to do a drip line. But still, not enough water in the gallon container to last the amount of time I need it to drip. I have two 55-gallon drums I'm thinking of using for this purpose. What do you think of that idea??? Same concept, just a larger [significantly] container. This is for some beds that are a long way from a water source. It's a way to bring the water source to the beds by filling the drums once a week, or even every two weeks.

Thanks for any input whatsoever on this idea.

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

marymcp,

I'm not sure if I can give you a good answer on the drum idea. I would think it could work but there may be to much pressure from an open drip line, but not enough pressure for emitters. I am not sure though. Others in this forum or in the vegetable forum may be able to offer better advice.

I did use a five gallon bucket variant last year to water my 4 tomato plants. There was a 1/4" line to each plant. It seemed though that the plants weren't getting equal amounts of water using this method. I've had better luck watering each plant with the 1 gallon jug, but as mentioned, it can be time consuming.