Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Litter tree

Posted by calb_gardner 10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 11:45

I just removed a 20+ foot Mesquite from beside my pond area due to the amount of litter the tree was dumping. In my yard I already have two Sonoran Emeralds a Foothills Palo Verdi ,Texas Ebony ,sissoo or Indian Rosewood , Desert Willow , Sweet Acacia ,also Chinese pistash and a tipu tree. I would like your opinion on the last two ,the ones in my yard are not quite big enough to give me an idea of how much litter they will dump. I am also considering a Live oak or Evergreen Elm.. But in the book Landscape plants for the Arizona desert, They consider These to be "seasonal litter" the same as the huge Mesquite tree I just removed And I do not want to be cleaning that area for six months of the year again! I would appreciate your input and any other suggestions that you may have. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Litter tree

By "pond", I assume you don't mean swimming pool? Either way, I can't comment on the two trees you mention, but I also can't think of a tree - other than a silk tree - that doesn't have something dropping at one time or another. If it's shade you want, but want to avoid tree litter, maybe consider a shade sail?

o

Hello tomatofreak
Yes I mean Pond, I already have" sails" (Just painters canvas seen together strung across wire) Under the Pergola. I love them although I would like to find something green for the pond area. I know there will be no such thing as a tree with no litter, But that Mesquite... In that location... was ridiculous! I was hoping somebody would have some experience with the last four trees, To be able to inform me on just how much seasonal litter I would be looking at. Like tipu drops it's flowers and then seedpods but this last one month
I will try to include a picture of my sails

o

calb_, I could not find a reference to the tipu tree in my copy of this booklet, linked below, but there are many listed that say 'low litter'.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

o

Yeah, like your shade 'sail'; we covered our pergola and patio with coolaroo. I like that stuff. I need another sail for an area where we took down a ridiculous euc.

o

Very cool! To me the lowest litter tree around is Texas Mountain Laurel (not Texas Ebony which I also grow and love, but it does drop a lot of big beans and tiny leaflets). Chinese/evergreen elms drop a TON of leaves, I would definitely not consider them low, or even moderate, litter trees. Let us know what you pick, and how it works out. Love those shade sails! Keep the posts coming, happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here