Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How cool is this

Posted by calb_gardner 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 11:59

We had so a few pollinating insects I let them make their home wherever they like

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How cool is this

Dirt-daubers? Doesn't look quite like a wasp nest. Btw, good for you; most people are so bug-a-phobic, they'd kill them. ;O)

o

Hah, so neat! I would have thought it was a wasp nest. Either way, like you, I'd totally welcome them. I really like wasps and bees etc., and have virtually no fear of them, although I do have a healthy respect. They're gardeners friends for sure. Thanks for posting the pic. Keep us posted! Happy gardening!

o

Paper wasps?

they don't pollinate, but they do eat caterpillars.

o

I don't know what they were they have long skinny yellow bodies. And they do sting I found that out the hard way. Eating caterpillars is good

o

Yep, that is a wasp nest. Most likely paper wasps. If you find leaves in your yard with surgically cleancut holes, it's certain that they are. I'm like Grant; I live and let live as long as they don't pose a danger - as they would by building a nest in a porch light where you may need to change a bulb. If I need to reach into a plant and can't see if there's a nest there, I spray the area with a forceful stream of water. If the wasps fly out, I know there's a nest there. If you need to remove the nest, flood the area with water; wet wasps can't fly and fall to the ground. You can remove the nest and hope that they move on to another site to rebuild. No need for killer sprays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good info on bees and wasps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here