Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato cuttings

Posted by ernie85017 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 12:33

Since I am new to tomatoes and enjoying experimenting, I have some suckers rooting. What a great way to never buy seeds or plants again!

Is there a negative to rooting cuttings from successive plants year after year?

Those of you who do root, is this for Fall plants and overwintering? I am wondering how fast I can expect them to grow and what to do with them during the hot hot weather. Which, evidently, is here - in May.

Someone here (sorry your name has slipped my memory) told me that my broken plant would have a sucker take over. It surely did. While it grew the rest of the plant grew stocky and strong. The flowers on the new growth are bigger than any I have seen so far.

The killer heat yesterday took the same plant by surprise, or I should say the gardener, who had to be away for several hours. It drooped on the top. I watered asap and this morning that part looks wilted. Do I have to wait for another sucker to take over? aaaaaah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato cuttings

Keep them in afternoon shade and they will take off when the weather cools off in September and give fruit until they die of frost.

o
RE: Tomato cuttings

I have two tomato plants that I started from cuttings back in February or so. They are thriving as far as plant growth, but only one of them (the Celebrity -- the other is a Champion) is fruiting. I'm nonetheless very pleased with their progress; they are much healthier than the parent plants, and the Celebrity at least looks like it will give plenty of fruit. It's a fun experiment, and free to boot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here