Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sales!

Posted by pagancat Phoenix, AZ (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 12:41

Just thought I'd let everyone in on one of my fave sales of spring - Brent and Becky's Bulbs (of Virgina) do their 50% clearance sale each late may. Much of their stuff is heat tolerant, some of it drought tolerant and a lot of it does well in containers. They also have a few tropicals - Musa, Alocasia, Colocasia, etc.

So, now that I've already ordered, lol... how do Eucomis and Agapanthus do here? Are they best in pots?

TIA!

sheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent 'n Becky's Bulbs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sales!

Wow thank you! I am off to shop :)

o

Oooh, thanks for posting it. I'll definitely take a look. I've ordered a few things from them from eBay, but haven't really done it directly. Thanks!

The few long-term happy agapanthus I've seen here in the Valley have been in the ground, in shaded spots. My old workplace in Scottsdale had (has) an awesome bed of them along the north-facing wall of a large outdoor courtyard. They seem to melt easily.

My Eucomis have done great here long term, and they do seem happiest in the ground with some afternoon shade.

I'd love to hear more secrets about anyone keeping agapanthus happy in their garden long term. I really do love them.

Happy gardening (and shopping) all!
Grant

o

Okay you two - you have to tell us if you get anything!

Weeelllll..... I have a south facing wall with Mesquite in front of it. We'll call it an Agapanthus Adventure. Not the best time of the year to be planting them, either - ah well.

Good to know about the Eucomis - I had some of the whites back in TN and they were really great. I ordered one of the Sparkling Burgundy plants, so it's going in the ground the split second it makes it here, wish me luck!

o

Could the bulbs be held until the fall?

o

Not these, they're spring planted for summer blooms. They have an identical sale in.... I *think* it's November, where they mark all of the fall planted bulbs (for spring bloom) 50% off.

I really shouldn't say bulbs, because they certainly do a lot of other stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here