Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving potatoes

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 12:49

I'm grew Purple Viking and La Ratte potatoes this year and they are delicious. They cost a lot to purchase the seed potatoes, and my yield wasn't great because this is the first time I grew them. Will make improvements next year. I'd like to know if there is a way to store some of the potatoes for seeding in the fall.

I'm near Phoenix so there really will be no cold place outside and inside, the house is at least 78 degrees or higher until around October/November. I think if I kept them in the refrigerator, they would get moldy. Anyone have any experience with this or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving potatoes

Freeze?

o

I kept my seed potatoes in a pillow case in the closet.
You don't want. Them too cold or it will break dormancy.

o

You might try putting them in a bag of peat in the fridge or as tracy says, in a closet. I've had good luck storing many things in variable temps in peat.

A tip on stretching your seed potatoes... if you're not doing this already, definitely cut the potatoes into sections each with at least one eye before planting. You can get 3 or more plants from each seed potato that way. I know this is not done commercially since it is too labor intensive, but it is definitely worthwhile for the home gardener.

o

So you keep your seed potatoes in the closet and they last until fall in these temps? What is the temp at your house?

Also I cut my sweet potatoes from the store up to get them to grow. I put rooting hormone on them and put them in indirect light, but no roots after a week. They are inside the house but seem to be drying maybe too much. I'm afraid they'll will simply dry up. Anyone have tips on getting the roots to grow.

o

Sweet potatoes like it hot - they are definitely warm-weather plants. I'd stick 'em outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here