Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves are burnt

Posted by rocisis AZ (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 12:52

My neighbors on each side of me have veggie gardens, one of my neighbors and I are haveing much success healthy plants, much fruit. My other neighbor is having trouble with his, his leaves seem to be burning, the plants are rather small, we all planted at the same time and have similar plants ,are all getting the same amount of sun, water ect....
We are trying to help him and keep making suggestions, but nothing has helped, would appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves are burnt

• Posted by jolmos 9/Sunset 13/AZ (My Page) on
    Sat, May 9, 09 at 13:08

How do you water, overhead, hose or drip emmiter...how does your neighbor? When do you water? When and how are you fertilizing? How much and what type of mulch is around the plants? (all these, done at the wrong time, can cause the burn you are talking about...I've faced the same things myself)

o

I have been watering with a hose very slowly dripping to really soak everything in the evening, now that the weather is warmer I'm going to start watering in the morning, I just started to fertilize this week, just mircle grow for veggies with the hose adapter. My neighbor knows he hadn't been watering enough he started about two weeks ago, every evening with the hose, he hasn't fertilized anything yet. I suggested that he start watering in the morning and to start fertilizing. I don't use any mulch, but he does not sure what kind.

o

I have been watering with a hose very slowly dripping to really soak everything in the evening, now that the weather is warmer I'm going to start watering in the morning, I just started to fertilize this week, just mircle grow for veggies with the hose adapter. My neighbor knows he hadn't been watering enough he started about two weeks ago, every evening with the hose, he hasn't fertilized anything yet. I suggested that he start watering in the morning and to start fertilizing. I don't use any mulch, but he does not sure what kind.

o

Plants need 3 things: water, light and food (fertilizer). If any of the three is missing or low then the plant will not grow at a normal rate.

If the burning (dieing) of the leaves is at the tips then it is water problem. If the burning is at the edges then it is fertilizer burn ( to much N ).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here