{{gwi:404265}}

{{gwi:404267}}

{{gwi:404269}}

{{gwi:404270}}

{{gwi:404272}}

Comments (13)

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

Looking really good. It looks like you are having way better luck than I did with them. I just ripped mine out as they weren't doing very good. I usually have good luck with watermelon but tried something different this year and had a disaster.

Oh well! at least me Desert King watermelon plants are doing okay. They're the last pics in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: May 27th garden pics

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mister_gin,

Nice pics. As always you seem to be months ahead of our garden LOL

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Nice pics both of you--thanks for sharing them. So far I'm not in love with my 'Tigger' melons (they're not watermelons), but I haven't given up!

Mangled, I hope you were able to harvest those onions (leeks? garlic?) before the watermelon took over, LOL. It looks really great.

Thanks to both of you for the update, it's really fun to see who is growing what (and when).

Continued success!
    Grant

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey grant,

thank you. We did harvest most of the shallots and sweet onions. They were quite small, think pearl onions. I managed to transplant some of the onions and shallots after lopping off the tops. They seem to be coming back with some signs of growth showing, but not sure if they'll make it thru the blistering heatwave coming.

The Black Diamond has babies all over it, some of the pics show a few of them :)

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

I'm jealous of you both! My two watermelon plants, Sugar Baby & some just labeled "watermelon" are not anywhere as big as those you two have. My watermelon does have some flowers on it, but not really opened yet. Keep up the good work!

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

az_pamperedchef,

Our secret: LOVE ;)

We are experimenting in different boxes with different soil mixes. This box is a 50/50 of Amend soil and Kellog potting soil brands.

[Kellogg All Natural Outdoor Potting Soil: chicken manure, kelp meal and worm castings]

The shallots didn't really like the mix (too moist), the sweet onions loved it.

We have several other watermelon and cantaloupe planted in different mix boxes (straight GroWell Organics soil mix) and they aren't doing as well as this Black Diamond.

So, as soon as these straight boxes are done this season, we are going to split them to a 50/25/25 and see how that works out.

• sg1985
    13 years ago

I have trellised sugar babies, black diamond, dixie queen, and golden watermelon. My mom planted it one year and the watermelon took over our entire yard so I decided to plant some. I put a tour of my garden on youtube check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YmONwhc-O8

{{gwi:404275}}

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sg1985,

those trellis look great, good idea. May we heist the idea for our raised beds :)

gotta keep the HOA folks at bay in the front yard ...

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Mangled-

You're too funny! Maybe I need to get out and serenade my watermelon plants, perhaps some fresh cut flowers also?

Oh, you mean express my love by the soil mix I use? I get so easily confused. :-)

You think it's too late to put out some more Sugar Baby transplants? I was out at Baker's Nursery today and they had some for sale and I couldn't resist.

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

az pamperedchef,

;) put LOVE in your soil ...

Those transplants should make it. Make sure you mulch an inch or three around them.

I'll take some pics in the morning, this thing is out to our walkway now and the babies are about the size of lemons.

• mangledmind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

3 of the largest babies (a roll of strechtie added for size perspective)

{{gwi:404276}}

{{gwi:404277}}

{{gwi:404278}}

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Nice! I was just out mulching this morning, plus putting in some more watermelon in the ground. I'm a glutton for punishment! I'll keep you posted and you keep me posted on your progress.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Looking good! Yup, I'm jealous, but happy for you. Keep us posted as they grow and swell. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure love the look of watermelon foliage too--very ornamental and delicate.

Keep the udpates coming!
    Take care,
    Grant