Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Berries in the Valley?

tracydr
12 years ago

I'm planning an area for blackberries, which I know do well in Mesa. But, I've noticed a few people have mentioned that they have raspberries and blueberries, which I thought were only suite to zones 8 and above. How are they doing for you? Do you have them in shade, partial shade or full sun? For the blues, do you have to treat the water, along with the soil, to keep them acidified?

Comments (6)

• jeff_12422
    12 years ago

I was told by a landscaper that you can grow raspberries, blueberries and grapes here too. My neighbors have grapes, and we have a blueberry bush (just one, as a test this year). The blueberries are doing great, but need some shade. They did well in full sun in winter, but as it warmed up and the berries came along, all the leaves dropped and the tips of the branches got sun burned. I put a 1/4" hardware mesh cage around it to keep the birds away, and that seems to provide enough shade for the leaves to be coming back, but I moved the pot to the east side of the bed so that when the melons vine up it, there will be more shade in the summer.

I didn't treat my water, just added peat moss to the soil and that seems to be plenty.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Not all blackberries do well here.

From what I have read these two can handle our full sun.

Brazos: Very vigorous, thorny, erect plant which produces an abundance of large high quality berries. Berries are large, attractive appearance and heavy yields, tart acid flavor.

Rosborough: Vigorous moderately upright canes which produces well in a wide variety of soil and climatic conditions. Fruit are large, attractive in appearance and have a sweeter flavor than Brazos.

I have Southern High Bush Blueberries in a raised bed in full sun. No shade and they are thriving. I was going to take some pictures to show them off. However my better half shaded them when she parked the garbage can in front of them when I was off my feet for a few days. After she removed the can they got burned in the afternoon sun. Its been a few weeks and they are recovering nicely but they lost some leaves and fruit and even a few stems. Not really pretty enough to show off anymore but still covered with fruit.

I can't remember why but blackberries and razzberries are not supposed to planted near each other. If you grow both plant them far away from each other.

• Tennyo
    12 years ago

Are the Blueberries and grapes still as tasty?
    for grapes what kind of variety can be grown in the valley? thanks!

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know you can grow Thompson seedless and a seedless red. I've not tried them but I've heard the heat makes them sweeter and better.
    I have tried wine from up by Sierra Vista and it's some of my favorite wine anywhere.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do the blackberries do best in full sun or more shade?

• agility_mom
    12 years ago

You can grow many varieties of grapes. The ones that I have are Thompson Seedless, Flame, Blueberry, Autumn Royal and Concord. All are doing well and are planted in reflected sun and full sun.
    I have tried growing blackberries and did plant the recommended varieties but haven't been successful yet. A nurseryman told me that I need to plant them so that they have afternoon shade. So, I will try that next Spring.
    As for the blueberries, I grow mine in pots. That way it is easier to maintain the lower PH. Too, I move the pots around. They get full sun in the cooler months and I put them under a Palo Verde tree in the hot months. This year I did get quite a few berries and unfortunately, the birds got most of them.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor