Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ernie85017

Tobacco tea

Has anyone used tobacco tea as an insecticide?

Does it work, or does it harm the plants?

Comments (8)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I haven't, and I'd be pretty cautious about using it .... including getting it on yourself. Just my 2 cents!

• xoxos
    11 years ago

it can be effective. what are you trying to lick, on what?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nothing -yet- just trying to be prepared. I remember reading about this long ago, but my searches so far aren't turning up anything. I must be using the wrong term. I thought it was tobacco juice, but all those searches talk about the vile spittings of future oral cancer patients. I had cab driver doing that once. He wanted to chat, I wanted to puke.

I suppose a light spraying might help with whiteflies when they try to take over. Any help would be appreciated.

Why would tobacco tea be bad on skin? Will have to search nicotine now. I am talking about chewing tobacco, not cigarettes. Unless they are putting poisonous additives in chewing tobacco now as well.

I had organophosphate poisoning once due to my own carelessness. It didn't take much on my hands to cause a problem. I get buggy thinking about using them.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Nicotine is toxic to humans, and it can be absorbed through the skin.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

ernie, I had a recipe at one time for a tobacco tea for bug control. I'll see if I can dig it up. Maybe Google tobacco tea instead of tobacco juice.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The search led me to a marijuana grower's forum, and .....

gardenweb!

Will try to add a link

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenweb

• xoxos
    11 years ago

while you may indeed be cautious about pointing your browser at that url, don't discard the information?

no one loves their plants more than cannabis growers. i'd expect it's now the most academically researched plant in existence. there's a proportionate volume of bunk to wade through, but a champion cannabis gardener has years of fast turnaround to form their erudition and may well have a more informed eye for eg. nutrient deficiencies than a champion rose gardener.

nowadays almost any horticulturally related search will result in mj sites or papers in the top ten. if you search frequently you'll probably get a feel for which sites tend to attract the more scholarly members (although some of them block their pages from google).

since i don't have access to cigarettes, my pesticides are either dishsoap/garlic/pepper/isopropyl infusions, or occasionally dried lavender heads or lavender oil (use with caution, it's quite effective). i'm finding true cinnamon effective for deterring pests as well.

tobacco teas are a traditional remedy, listed in every houseplant care tome i have. if you have the inclination and ability, i'd suggest buying some seed off ebay instead of funding the corps :)

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took a look around. There are a lot of mj sites. They refer to the plant foods as "nutes". Bug control concerns for "harvest" time. Makes sense.

I have found a lot of other options but may add a little tobacco juice (not from cigarettes, too many chemicals) from pipe tobacco to the rest of the arsenal.

I did develop a great spray for working in the yard. The $%@ flies and other little things that bite drive me crazy. And I smell good!

Grow my own tobacco. I think I'll try that. Might be interesting.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider