Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for porch

Posted by lescont 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 14:16

Hi I live in Morenci, AZ and would like to put some plants on my porch. The porch is northeast facing and has an awning above it get great direct morning and early afternoon sun but then shaded the rest of the day. I'm looking for ideas of things I can grow in pots outside on the porch that don't need a lot of sun but can still handle the heat as it does still get into the 100-110 in summer, but is more humid than phoenix. I love foliage plants or plants with a few flowers but no cactus. thanks in advance for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for porch

Asparagus densiflorus and A. meyeri are both really good choices for AZ. I'm in the VOTS, and they're fine with the heat.

o

You can also grow herbs ... basil, oregano and mint.

And house plants ... Ficus benjamani, sanseveria and others like morning sun. Put them at the back where they get the least amount of sun.

it's harder to keep the plants well-watered, so mulch them with pebbles and place the actual pot into a slightly larger pot for some protection against cooking the roots.

o

Thanks for the replies.... I did try to grow herbs last year from seeds but never got more that a few sprouts which wilted and died shortly after spouting. I don't think they were under watered maybe over watered? don't know but it happened with every herb I tried to grow only my tomatoes grew.

o

Sometimes seedlings here wilt and die because of the low humidity. If you get clear 2 ltr soda bottles and cut off the bottom you can put the tops over the seedlings to help increase humidity and get them through that early stage when they tend to die.

o

I'll add my vote for asparagus ferns too. I have great luck with them in full sun, partial sun, and full shade, plus they have little starchy nodules along their roots that help them store water. They add a nice fresh green which is always welcomed. Mine have proven immune to the heat here in the Valley of the Sun, and even with our wicked freeze in January they look totally fine, without any protection at all. You've got several other nice suggestions too, so let us know what you do and how it works out. Happy gardening! Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here