Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosic

What type of Bush do you recommend?

hosic
13 years ago

Hey guys, just joined up and looking for some advise. We just bought this home and I have very little knowledge in the plant area. We need to replace two dead bushes in front of our home that rest in front of the only window. We would like to plant two bushes side by side that are really green and thick so we can trim them to our liking. We just like the look of two clean bushes that would not grow above the window.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (9)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Anything you plant will require pruning to keep them below the window ledge. Here's a couple of suggestions:

Mock Orange
    Cape Honeysuckle
    Dwarf oleander
    Chuparosa

You may want to visit your local library and pick up a free booklet "Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert"...some great info.

• hotdrysunny
    13 years ago

if you're looking for a formal, trimmed-shrub look, probably something like an arborvitae would work. The problem is (and I don't know if you're new to the Valley and our SUMMERS or just new to gardening) finding a green shrub that fits your needs and that can handle the excruciating heat and relentless sun.

Texas Rangers (the ones you see all over with the silvery leaves and purple flowers) can be pruned pretty severely and can also deal with the heat. Also a dwarf Oleander might work in your situation.

There are some extremely knowledgeable people on this forum who will probably tell you to ignore everything I just typed, so don't go to Home Depot until someone else weighs in!! :-)

13 years ago

Excellent advice zini

• antm0
    13 years ago

On top of those great suggestions, maybe consider dwarf myrtle, dwarf olive, and dwarf yaupon holly... That is if you want them no taller then the bottom of the window ledge. For something a little taller, some great suggestions have been mentioned :)

• hosic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Appreciate the help guys! Does home depot or lowes usually sell the more common ones listed?

13 years ago

My preference is Summer Winds (multiple locations around the valley), Bakers at 40th St and Osborn. Any other private type nursery. The plants from HD and Lowe's are not very reliable, and it's hard to get to know someone and develop an on-going relationship.

What part of the valley do you live?

• hosic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Im way out in buckeye in the west valley. I heard this place called moon nursey, might check it out

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

hosic,

try these folks, they ROCK. We picked up our Rodgers Red grape vines and our Valencia orange from them. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Helped load the huge pots too.

Elgin Nursery & Tree Farm
    located north of I-10 and east of Loop 101 Agua Fria Freeway at
    8606 W. McDowell Road
    Phoenix, AZ 85037
    Phone: (623) 936-1100

http://www.elginnursery.com/index.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Elgin Nursery & Tree Farm

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

There is a reason the two bushes that were there died!

How high is the window? How much sun? How much do you want to water and prune?

Before you dash off and buy something, give us enough information so we can actually recommend something that won't outgrow the spot or require insane amounts of care.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner