Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it grow here?

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:24

A common question often not well-answered by reputable nurseries, much less the big box stores. Plants with labels usually only have the USDA cold-tolerance information. And while we have frosts that kill now and then, the most important factor to most of us in the USDA 9 a/b+ & Sunset 13+ is heat-tolerance. Cold is a quick killer; heat kills slowly, torturing plants to death.

This article was written by a New Englander, but it's full of good info, plus links to both the USDA map and the AHS's Heat Zone map. These are great references, but not the final word on "will it grow here?" as that depends on much, much more. I'd love to hear commentary on this subject, especially from those who always dare to push the envelope.

Here is a link that might be useful: Will it grow here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it grow here?

For those who haven't seen it, here's the AHS Heat Zone map.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Zone Map

o

Totally good points! I'm sure you're right that a lot of people forget about taking heat into consideration. I love how you describe it as a slow torture to some plants, LOL. So true!

I do see more and more plants listing heat zone hardiness too, and there's also a very good book about heat-zone gardening too (I'll add the link below). Thanks for highlighting this important factor in our gardening successes (and failures, LOL). Happy gardening, Grant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Zone Gardening book

o

Heat, and lack of humidity. I think that is what gets most of the broader leaved plants from "back east", seeing as many of them can take a good amount of heat.

I'm seeing Heucheras rated for zone 9, but I'm betting that's not *our* zn 9....

o

That's why Sunset developed their own maps. Any scheme that puts Phoenix AZ and Tampa FL into the same agricultural classification is fatally flawed.

o

Exactly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here