Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby lady bugs?

Posted by BasilGirl 9a (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 14:59

I spotted a ton of small round red bugs on my alyssum this morning. They look like they could be baby lady bugs. I kinda thought it was too late and too hot for them. I also spotted other red/black bugs that are more "armor" shaped. I'm praying they're not a Chernobylized deviant strain of squash bugs...except they're not in the squash garden.

It was hard to get a clear pic of them with my phone because they're so small. If you look on the left side of the photo you can kind of make them out.

Can anyone confirm the identity of these bugs??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby lady bugs?

The pic needs to be better.

o

BG, Could be a milkweed bug - he's a bad guy in my garden, punctures ripening tomatoes then opens the puncture and begins the feast.

The Assassin bug looks similar and is a good guy. Google for pics.

o

Hmmm, they appear to be more round than either the milk bug or the assassin bugs I checked out line. I snipped a sprig of alyssum and got this guy as he was trying to get away.

o

Yup, ladybugs

o

Yup, agreed. Lucky you.

o

How do I attract Lady Bugs to my yard???

o

Lady bugs love my asparagus. I'm not sure what the draw is, but I see hundreds of them all over the plants.

o

So, I get a victory for the ladybugs. This helps balance out the TOMATO HORN WORMS that I found this morning. I have 5 plants and I must have found at least 7 worms. I did pick them off and relocate them to my neighbor's bottle brush but not before they inflicted some hefty damage. Sigh!

o

Wheat penny!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here