o
Please help to identify a tree - w Photos

Posted by snappleg (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 15:07

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help to identify a tree - w Photos

I think its a ficus nitida. Checkout pics in the link below. They are nice looking trees, I used to have 2 of them, they died in the freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: ficus nitida thread with pics

o

I also thought it was ficus nitida, but the owner said that he had this tree for almost 10 years (without knowing the name ;)) - it is too small for 10 year old Indian Laurel - I heard horror stories how it grows like crazy and has very invasive root system.

Maybe there are different types of this tree, e.g multi-trunk and 1 trunk ficus nidita... 1 trunk would be the one which grows slowly... Is it possible?

o

Looks like it might have had a freeze burn on the top and they trimmed off branches, i see some branches without leaves sticking out. Many ficus in my neighbourhood had freeze burn...most survived but few 10yo trees died. Also in my neighbourhood i have seen folks shape the tree like trim off half the top and it grows back quickly in few years. They have invasive roots but i have seen some banks/businesses out here which have these planted very close to wall within a foot where its growing like a hedge.
I think multitrunk is usually few trees planted together...they dont grow vertically fast grows more sideways. multiple trunks competing makes it grow slow. the single trunk grows upright faster. (i could be way off in my assumption...iam quoting what the college guy working at a nursery told me).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here