Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets

Posted by letsharmonize 6A/2B West (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:30

I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White Mountains, and wonder what you more knowledgeable AZ gardeners might recommend: Plastic vs Coco baskets .... and high-grade (i.e. Black Gold) vs. "typical" potting soil. Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets

also, someone suggested putting a baby diaper in a Coco basket, to aid in keeping the soil moist. What do you think?

o
RE: Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets

Interesting! I tend to go with plastic or glazed pots just because they need less watering that cocoa or fiber or unglazed pots. I use plain ol' Miracle-Gro all purpose container soil and have great luck (here in the Valley of the Sun). Let us know what you do and how it works out. When I've used cocoa fiber I did line it with some plastic shopping bags (with holes) to reduce mess and watering. Keep us posted and have fun! Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here