Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1fullhouse

Any grape growers?

1fullhouse
16 years ago

Was wondering if anyone here has had any luck in growing grapes in Phoenix? My hubby and I would love to add them to our garden, but are unsure if the heat here would end up being too much. Full-sun anywhere else in the country ends up meaning at least partial shade in Phoenix.

And if we can plant them here, what is the best time of year?

Someone told me Thompson seedless work ok?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• jane1802
    16 years ago

We have a three year old Thompson Seedless that does very well and our neighbor has one that's about to take over the house! We got ours in Jan or Feb and it was bare root. The man at Home Depot told us our block back fence that faces north would be the perfect spot for it and he's been proven right. As far as sun goes, the vine gets full sun all summer and doesn't seem to mind as long as it gets enough water (a slow, long drip.) I also have a red flame and it does well but the t.s. is the star.

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only North facing wall would be right at the play area, and I know my boys well enough that they would trample it... I can do East or West facing though, I wonder if that would work?

Do you think it's too late in the season to plant bare root?

• jane1802
    16 years ago

I think it probably would be too late in the season to plant (or even be able to buy in Phoenix) bare root. I think the east facing wall would be excellent. We put up three strong posts and strung heavy wire between them at about 1 1/2 feet, 3 feet and 5 feet up and that seems to be working well. My neighbor has a full fledged pergola type thing that he got the grapes to climb by using string up the sides. The grapes totally cover it and it is very beautiful but a lot of work to build so we went with the posts!

• 1fullhouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for the help. Guess I'll have to just be patient! (not my strongest trait) I'm thinking the posts too, as I only have limited room anyways.

• ladyofapricot
    16 years ago

hello, i live in glendale and i have many fruit trees. I
    do have seedless green grapes growing for 4 years now. They do very well here. You have to put up a wire structure for the grape vines to cling too. You need to
    prune them every year to get the right shape. My biggest
    problem is the blueblack flys that love to lay their eggs
    on the leaves and when they hatch they eat the leaves up.
    So far nothing has killed them so i had to use a little
    bit of chemical on the plant when the leaves first came out
    and that seem to keep the problem under control. I am a
    organic gardener but once in a while you have to use chemicals. I love growing veggies and fruit here so if you
    have any question feel free to ask. I am currently growing apricots, apples, pears, plums, grapefruit, lemons, oranges,limes,grapes,artichokes,black rasberries. I do veggies in the winter. My husband put two 2x3 about 4 ft apart in a sunny location and ran gardening wire across every year after pruning it gets a little larger and i cut
    it back to keep it small.
    bye

• cactushugger
    16 years ago

I'm growing grapes on both west and south facing walls very
    successfully.

• azbolt
    16 years ago

The blue/black moths are the adult form of the skeletonizer worm. The worm itself is a small black and yellow striped guy who devours grape leaves. You can buy a product called BT or Bacillus Thuringiensis, which is a type of bacteria that only kills worms. It's safe to spray on your plants, won't hurt your pets, etc. You should be able to find it at Home Depot or Lowes, you may have to ask for it tho. Be sure you spray it on the underside of the leaves, the worms have to eat it for it to work. I need to spray my grapevines this weekend! My Thompson seedless are taking over. The Flame grapes...not so much.

Kevin

• bagsmode
    16 years ago

I see that people mentioned the blue-black bugs that eat the leaves... are these aphids?

I tried spraying the Safe Soap; but the leaves now look like they have brown black spots :( Did it burn the leaves (since I sprayed during the day?) or is it just from the bugs eating?

What can I try besides the soap spray?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Glenn

• greendesert
    13 years ago

the blue/black bugs are not the ones that eat the leaves, it's the caterpillars that hatch from their eggs. those are the nasty ones and they're easy to get rid of. Don't even bother with soap solutions they're totally useless. Just get some Thuricide and spray the leaves and they'll be gone in no time.
    Thuricide (Bacilus Thurigensis) is not a chemical, it's a bacteria that gives them a fatal stomach ache so it's organic. And as far as organic gardening here in phx, haha... good luck! it seems like there's always some nasty thing attacking plants. If it's not mildew, it's skeletonizers, when those die, then whiteflies surface, then some other bug and the birds get the best of them, so actually harvesting grapes, that is quite an accomplishment here.

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

We've been growing them here for years, all of them are container grown and can be planted any time of year, along with Arizona Grown Fruit Trees

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Grapes

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus