Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Tomatoes

Posted by DustyRoseAZ AZ (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 15:55

Why does every one of my "Celebrity" tomatoes have several splits in the skin? I also have planted the "Phoenix" variety and they are doing well - no splits. They are right next to each other! (I live in Phoenix, so thought I'd try them as they are supposed to be heat resistant.) So far so good with them. Won't be fully ripe for a couple of days so I don't know how they will taste, but they are big! Thanks for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Tomatoes

Did they have an episode of erratic watering? That's usually the cause.

o

Some varieties are prone to cracking - regardless of anything else. They just do. Usually larger toms.

o

yeah only the larger tomatoes that I have get the splitting on the top. I thought this was caused by the triple digit temps but I guess it's normal?

o

Congratulations on your tomato crop! Sorry to hear about the split skins. I'll just add my voice to the chorus that the larger the tomato, the more likely it is to split here, and the more fluctuations in water the more likely they are to split. I always visualize a beating heart, LOL, swelling up when they have lots of water and then contracting a bit when they're a bit drier, so that occasionally splits form as they suck up water in the heat. Usually they're still very good to eat. In general, I grow small tomatoes like mini yellow pear and 'Sun Gold' my favorite cherry tomato, as the smallies seem less likely to split/crack, but even they do now and then.

Please let us know what you think of the flavor of your 'Phoenix' variety. We're curious!

Take care and happy gardening!
Grant

o
DustyRoseAZ's tomato pics

DustyRoseAZ emailed me a couple of pics to embed here so folks can see. I have total tomato envy, LOL! Dusty, can you share with everyone how they tasted? Great job on these puppies!

o

after 4 years of trying to grow tomatoes in Phoenix, I gave up because they split... I could only grow Roman varieties, and they're not the same as "regular" tomatoes.

I am trying green chile instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here