Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allenstu

Growing Basil in mesa arizona

allenstu
13 years ago

What is the best way to grow genovese basil in a container? Does it need total shade during the summers in arizona. I have my seedlings coming up right now inside and want to know the perfect setting for them since we get so hot here in the summer. My mint is growing great so i am hoping to get great results with the basil. Any help from someone that has experience growing basil in az would be great.

Comments (20)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

allenstu,

A great discussion right here on GardenWeb:

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil Growth

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

allenstu ... it grows best in the ground, with full sun, thick mulch and regular water. It is very heat tolerant, as is rosemary and oregano.

For containers, morning sun and a larger than usual container, maybe a double-walled one (put the pot inside a larger one) to shade the root area.

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Allenstu-

I've grown several types of basil in containers here in AZ. I have them on my south-facing porch all year long. So, the containers get quite a bit of afternoon sun. The most important thing to remember is water of course! I have sweet basil, Thai basil & purple ruffles.

Basil is easily grown here, for me at least, but don't ask me about my tomatoes!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Chef - how big are your pots, and what kind?

I've had poor luck with containers of anything.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

One thing we have noticed with our basils is that clay pots (containers) show no mercy. We have to water them DAILY. Now the plastic and fiberglass decorative ones are a bit more merciful. And our bedded basils need little tending where water is concerned. Of course the indoor basils are easy. :)

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Lazy- I used different sized clay pots. The Thai basil below is in an 8" pot, while the Italian basil & Purple Ruffles are in 14" pots. I had to replace the Italian basil this year because my established 2yr old froze this winter! I probably water them in the summer every other day.

Thai Basil

{{gwi:404861}}

Purple Ruffles is sharing space with depleted Fennel Bulbs

{{gwi:404863}}

Italian Basil

{{gwi:404866}}

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

From seed Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum):

{{gwi:404869}}

Sweet Basil Transplant:

{{gwi:404872}}

{{gwi:404875}}

From seed (Mammoth):

{{gwi:404879}}

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Looking good Mangled! How do you use up all your basil?

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Lots of pasta dishes. Also makes a great addition to salads and dressings.

I'm the cook in the house. LOL If she cooked, we would be eating outta the microwave and from boxed junk ;) Although, lately she has started to come around. She made brownies in a SunOven she purchased online. They were quite good. But I did advise her to sub milk and butter for the water and oil the box called for, which helped a LOT.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Here's a simple list, and google has tons of listings for Basil uses.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=using+basil&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil: Everyone's Favorite Herb!

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Thanks Mangled! I'll look it up. Mine basil never goes to waste, but was curious how you manage with so much of it. :-)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

az_pamperedchef,

gonna try this one out this weekend:
    Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Wich of the Week: Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese

• sg1985
    13 years ago

Container vegetables do not like all day sun so think {{gwi:404883}}

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Mangled-

That 'wich looks delish! Did you try it and how was it?

AZ PC

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

az pamperedchef,

Nope, totally ate all the Campari tomatoes we bought to make the grilled cheese with. Couldn't stop eating them. LOL Have to fetch some more.

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

LOL! I'm sure they were good.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

My basil are all just sitting doing nothing. They are in ground in various places and have been fertilized/watered with everything else. Hardly any growyth to speak of. What am I doing wrong? I have sweet, lettuce leaf and cinnamon.

• cruztammi_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have tried so many times to grow basil...in containers, outside, inside, in the ground...you name it and I have tried it!!! My basil always turns brown/black and dies within a few weeks (if that long). What am I doing wrong?? I water and check the soil often to make sure I am not over watering or under. I have young kids who love to eat the basil right from the plant & want to know why mommy keeps killing it!!!
    Help in Mesa!!!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Tammi -
    I don't know - it grows like a weed for me, in full sun in the ground, with a drip system.

How are you watering and fertilizing it, and which varieties are you growing?

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Well, I seem to finally have gotten the hang of basil. I think it was an iron, Ph, and maybe a bit of nitrogen. As my soil improved, my basil took off.
    This year, I have a basil in 100% composted horse manure, it's growing like crazy. I just direct sowed some seed in the same garden, hope they take off too. I make pesto and freeze it when I get more than we can keep up with. We eat a lot fresh, on top of pasta, meats, veggies and especially on eggplant, another heat lover.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths