Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood Orange tree question

Posted by greenlust z9 Phx,AZ (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 16:02

I got a small moro blood orange dwarf tree from a good nursery last year and the head part dried off, now have a green root stock sticking up from ground with no branches leaves. I want to replace it with another blood orange tree..thinking of trying the big box store this time. Any suggestions which blood orange does better out here. is it sanguinelli or moro or other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood Orange tree question

Here's a link of the ones that do well in the area, I'd be a little careful buying out of the Big Boxes as all of them are imported from CA and many times there on incorrect root-stocks

More importantly, whats the reason the moro failed?, moros are the best producers in the valley of the red varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blood Oranges

o

Dont know how it died got it sometime in july/aug, was the last one left in nursery. The branches were thin. (I was in a rage to have a blood orange in backyard so got it). In winter it lost all leaves and then branches dried up in feb/march. Thanks for the link, will check them out. Their prices are good, almost half of what i paid.

o

I always like to use the University of Arizona as a resource because they provide research-based, non-biased horticultural information. They aren't a commercial enterprise and aren't trying to sell you something.

The U of A has conducted field trials for citrus for decades. In the Phoenix area the citrus research farm is located in Waddell. Sadly, this facility will be closing soon as the land was leased and the term is up. (The remaining citrus research station is in Yuma.)

Each January the U of A Extension office holds a Citrus Clinic where speakers from the University as well as local experts gather to pass along information to the public. In the east valley it is held at Greenfield Citrus Nursery and in the west valley at the research station in Waddell.

Here's a link to information on publications from the U of A. Click on the link to Low Desert Citrus Varieties which includes five of the pigmented oranges. A good book on this subject is Citrus - Complete Guide to Selecting and Growing More Than 100 Varieties For Califoria, Arizona, Texas, The Gulf Coast and Florida by Lance Walheim, ISBN 0-9628236-4-3.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Desert Citrus Varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here