Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxgarden_gw

Cuttings of Vines that can deal with south facing block wall

Maxgarden
11 years ago

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to AZ. We're moving to a new house at the end of this month. The house is great, but the yard has been neglected- it's just dirt with a big saringa (that's what we call it in Africa) tree.

I found out about 1) Tempe's landscape rebate program for xeriscaping and 2)SRP's tree program, so YAY!!!

But I'd really like to get some FAST growing, heat tolerant vine cuttings so I can plant along the back garden wall. I'm also looking for sunflower seeds (native ones) to plant along the walls.

Please let me know if you have any cuttings to spare :-) Thanks so much!

Nick

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Fast-growing heat-tolerant vines

Get some Armenian cucumber seeds - they will grow extremely fast if you give them water and some sort of trellis to the top of the wall.

They are an annual, but that gives you time to get Queen's wreath established from 1-gallon plants.

• Maxgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that tip!!

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I have some cats claw tubers, if you'd like.
    Caution. You'll never get rid of them.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Tracydr: You know you can get rid of cat's claw!
    You can move away!

It took several years, but mine has run amok. I had no idea they had everlasting life - until this year when I wanted to remove them. Good for covering my S facing wall, until they got woody and started creeping across the yard.

They must be related to bermuda.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

My cat's claw isn't running into the yard, but it is climbing over the roof! If you want something covered and you don't much care about getting rid of it; cat's claw is the ticket. That and campsis radicans, aka trumpet vine. I've got plenty of that, too, if you'd like some.

• plstqd
    11 years ago

If you want Armenian cucumber seeds, I'm in Tempe and have some that I'd be glad to share.

• Maxgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@plstqd Yes please! I'm going to try everyone's ideas and report back which is the most successful!
    It is too late in the season to plant cukes?

• plstqd
    11 years ago

Regular cucumbers, yes it's too late, but Armenian cucumbers, which are actually a melon, love the heat. Send me an email through the forum, and we'll hook you up with some seeds.

• DustyRoseAZ
    11 years ago

Several years ago I planted some cat's claw because I wanted it to cover my house - like a charming English cottage. Well, it covered my house and began climbing in through my windows, (even climbing the inside walls) tearing up my screens, and the stucco on my exterior walls. The outside truly was charming, but underneath the pretty blooms were the old woody vines and they became an attraction to mosquitos, bees, and even bats! I cut down the vines and tried and tried to eradicate the tubers, but never could get them all. Finally moved away, so no longer an issue. I wouldn't touch cat's claw with a 10 ft pole! Just sayin'...

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned: Silver Lace vine. It's evergreen, grows vigorously and covers fences in a single bound. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have one that I was certain needed to have some shade, but turns out it does not like shade - or too much of it. Another local gardener (who isn't here, apparently) has one in full sun and says it does extremely well. I'm moving mine to the sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Lace Vine

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?