Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollinating squash/female flowers not opening

Posted by dashygirl none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 16:26

I have 4 squash plants; 2 spaghetti and 2 zucchini. It has taken forever for the female flowers to come up, and now they are not opening and just dying. I recently pried open one of the female flowers and pollinated it myself with one of the male flowers, but I am afraid that prying the flower open damaged it, or it wasn't ready yet. But otherwise they just die!

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollinating squash/female flowers not opening

Try the site for pumpkins and squash maybe some one there can help you. Past experience tells me they maybe getting wet. Sorry I can't be more help never had it happen.
Go up top to forums and find the site trough there.

o

My first year I tried Pumpkins, the same thing happened to me. Now I grow pumpkins, squash and zucchini every year and have a lot. I'll tell you everything I found that I did wrong my first year and see how many things you're also doing (these are in order of most significant to least).

1st, I planted the plants way too close together. All of these plants feed *heavily*, more than any plant I know of actually. If they are competing with any other plants, none of them get what they want. At most, I will have 3 (maybe 4 if I did really good soil prep the season prior) plants in a 5x5' area. I start out with 6 plants spread out in the area and then cut out 2-3 that took longer to start about 3 weeks in. That part is difficult to do, but if you know how much it helps them, it makes it easier to do.

2. I wasn't feeding them enough. I feed and water them heavily now. I don't think it's possible to accidentally over-water them, as long as they're getting good sun. I give them fish emulsion almost every day and then start to add a blooming fertilizer (high in phosphorous) once they start growing blooms. Not everyday on the phosphorous fertilizer because I use a chemical fertilizer for that. This applies slightly less to squash and zucchini. I may feed those every 3 days.

3. I didn't prep the area long before planting. I've started prepping the area I plan on planting them the season prior with a good amount of manure. This isn't as important as the others as I've had fine yields without doing it, but it does increase the yield by a good amount.

Oh yeah, one other thing I've started doing since then is mulch. I mulch everything that's in the ground and it seems to help a lot.

This post was edited by iAndy on Fri, May 9, 14 at 21:05

o

Maybe that's why my zucchini in 100 percent manure recently composted is doing the best. Heavy feeders for sure. The least active is the one grown in potting soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here