Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost Gum vs Mesquite for edge of lot

Posted by greyongray 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 16:48

I'm going to be planting 2-3 trees on the west side of my lot and I've spent months trying to make a good choice of specie.

The trees are going to border a horseback riding arena, and so what I really want is to be able to shade as as much as possible (ie tall tree). Prefer xeriscape to tropical, filtered shade is fine.

The problem is that right on the other side of the fence is my neighbor's pool and concrete deck.

I'm leaning towards the Crown Jewel mesquite (seedless hybrid) which would give me some shade but also peace of mind around the pool. It may not be litter free but neighbor has his own Chilean mesquite to clean up after so they would probably be on the same schedule.

I love the look of the Ghost Gum though (papuana), anyone have experience with those - how messy, concrete crackers, etc? Help me decide so I can go get my trees already :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost Gum vs Mesquite for edge of lot

RUN from the Ghost Gum! Go get the mesquites! How I wish I had gotten the mesquites - or just about anything other than the eucs I did get. They are messy, refuse to live up to your idea of how they should grow and are almost impossible to prune once they reach mature height. I am seriously considering taking one out and replacing it with - ta da! - a mesquite. I so regret getting these trees.

o
RE: Ghost Gum vs Mesquite for edge of lot

Thanks Tomatofreak, you are the voice of reason that I needed :)

There are mature eucs in my neighborhood (probably the older, brittler, messier kinds) and I think I will just continue to enjoy them from the walking paths/little trails, and the ghost gums planted by ADOT! Beautiful white trunks and I was trying to block out the expensive pruning they would surely need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here