Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pygmy Date Palms and Frost Damage

Posted by peoriaplanting (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 17:21

Hello all,

I have pygmy date palms around my pool that still haven't recovered from the frost this year. They're all multi-trunked, and only one or two trunks from each tree are showing any new growth and the new growth seems to be struggling itself. Some of the trunks are even dark brown with still only white fronds, not a hint of new growth anywhere in sight.

I've trimmed only the lower dead branches, being careful not to damage the tops. I water them deeply and apply palm fertilizer as recommended, but I just can't get them to bounce back.

Does anyone know of a remedy? I thought the pygmy dates would give the pool a lush tropical look, but instead it looks like a water hole surrounded by scary, dead tumbleweed. Not the look I was going for.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pygmy Date Palms and Frost Damage

my pygmy palms got hit hard this year by the frost, some more then others, but they are starting to recover slowly. i think every winter since we have put them in, they always get some frost damage and it does take a while for new fronds to replace the damaged ones. since the damage was so extensive this time, i do not think they will look great again until next year (if we do not have another hard freeze). i know some people in our neighborhood have already ripped out their damaged pygmy palms and have replaced them with new ones. i am going to be patient and just wait it out since our palms are pretty large now.

give them a little more time. how established were your palms before the freeze?

o

i have a similar with one of mine... i'm going to wait until the end of summer, and if there isn't any new growth i'm going to replace it with something else... good luck.

o

This will be the their 3rd summer. We have large ones in the center and then they taper to smaller ones around the pool. The smaller ones seem to be showing some shaggy fronds growing in on some of the trunks, but the larger ones have nothing. I would think that it would be the opposite? Especially because we have a huge queen palm and that one is almost completely back to normal.

It feels like I'm missing something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here