Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

Soil for raised bed

Haname
12 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations for a brand of bagged soil to fill a bed? Can't be too expensive because it's not a very small bed, though not big enough to have a load delivered. What we had in there previously was mostly compost and disintegrated so it needs some actual soil that will stay in there. It's 10" deep, and about 111" X 31"

{{gwi:405174}}

Comments (8)

• campv 8b AZ
    12 years ago

I guess the first thing to think about would be what are you going to plant. Flowers, cactus or veggies

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's on a north facing wall, and I was planning on veggies, herbs and flowers if that would work. For now just sunflowers and melons, and possibly some yellow cosmos if there are some blooming available.

The bed is about half shaded during the winter I think, and in summer gets more sun but the wall itself stays shaded so a little bit cooler than the opposite bed. We filled that one with 'garden soil' which turns out to be an amendment and not intended to be used as soil so we shall see how the okra gets along in it. I know this stuff will disintegrate over time also, just hoping that my plants will grow well in there this year.

Of course any better ideas would be greatly appreciated! I already have lots of cactus in the hot and dry northeast section of the yard where nothing else likes to grow.

Thanks for the help :)

• campv 8b AZ
    12 years ago

The okra will be fine in that garden soil. Water, Water, Water. I have raised garden beds and every year I add to them which you must do, its not a one time thing. Soil filters through the boards(in my case)/brick or when you pull up the old plants soil comes with. You can mix a varity of soils. I have used garden soil, mixed with top soil, mixed with steer manurae, mixed with old flower pot soil (what ever I got) all in the same bed and it is very dark & rich. Each has its own benifit. If you use steer, mix in with the others real well or it will burn new plants or seeds. I grow enough veggies for the neiborhood along with flowers to share. Herbs will do well with the little shade as they are tender. Seems to me that you got a handle on it. Just remmember soil is what you make it to be. The good stuff can't be bought in a bag. Hope this will help, Camp Verde

• desert_dawg
    12 years ago

Right now, the 'Po has Miracle Grow garden soil on sale for $4.77 for the 2 CF bag. That's a great deal. There was no limit when I got 5 bags today.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I filled mine with very aged horse manure, no bedding. Just manure. The plants are really happy. My tomatoes are loaded this year! No weeds either, except Bermuda coming from underneath, despite layers of newspaper. I put the beds onto of Bermuda sod so it was to be expected.
    My horses eat alfalfa and are turned out, not stalled so no wood shavings or straw. Very nice manure which I pile up and compost.

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tracy I bet those tomatoes will be DELICIOUS. :)

With some trepidation, we filled it with a bagged 'topsoil' at less than $2/cubic foot which contains lava sand and forest products etc. They don't tell you exactly what they put in these things. Too bad I didn't catch that Miracle gro sale desert dawg. Anyway, it smells like good earth so I figure it has all the necessary microbes working in there. Over time I will improve it as I can, campv. And thanks for the watering tip. Definitely have to do that now as it warms up. We put the soil in on Mother's Day and planted the seeds. Today I see 2 melon sprouts and most of the sunflower seeds have emerged. Just have to keep it cool now if I can so everything survives. Is it a good idea to put some straw for mulch when the plants come up?

I appreciate your responses!

• campv 8b AZ
    12 years ago

I would not spend the money for straw. It will blow around and pest like it. Rollie pollies etc. they hide under there. Just water it good and maybe fertalize the soil once in while with miracle grow or something simular. You did good.

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good point campv, we don't want to put straw there just to have it blow all over the place, or just to make a nice cozy home for the bugs.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?