Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's sunflower time

Posted by mister_gin z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 17:32

Mammoth Russians typically only have one main bloom, but the one below has two. This one's gonna droop to the ground once the heads start to swell.

Here are some Teddy Bears and some other variety I can't name.

This Mammoth has been cut and is currently drying in the garage. Birds are going to love it this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: May 21, '11 garden pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's sunflower time

I think they look simply amazing mister_gin. I bet they bring a lot of bees to your garden too. Can never have to many bees. By the way, nice looking shade structure. What are you going to do with all those sunflower seeds?

o

WOW ... those look AWESOME ... when did you plant to get them this size ..?? ours are only around 2' and some only a foot tall ...

o

thisisme,

Thanks, on the shade structure. I basically expanded on what I used last year. It's not the sturdiest, but it's cheap and goes up easy enough. I just use the seeds to feed the birds in the fall. I will keep a handful of seeds, from the tallest flower, to start next years flowers.

mangledmind,

I've been bad this year about keeping track of planting dates. I'm thinking most of my sunflowers were sowed late Feb. or so. The one that is already cut and drying started growing well before that last frost we had. It survived being moved, the frost and being stepped on more than once. They are tough plants. I also have some that aren't even a foot tall yet. These were started last month.

o

Mine are about 3" tall!

o

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us! This is the first spring/summer in a long time that I haven't grown ANY sunflowers, and now I'm regretting it, LOL. They really are fun to grow, aren't they? Yours are great, too.

Take care and thanks for the eye candy,
Grant just back from 10 days in Maui, with plumeria on the brain :P

o

Do you think it's too late to try and get sunflowers planted?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here