Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

Does anyone have Mexican Primrose?

Haname
11 years ago

I read that it is invasive, but this is a native here, right? I appreciate any opinions shared.

Comments (11)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Aren't they pretty?

I don't think they're actually invasive, in the true sense of the word. But I do think they are "garden thugs" and will spread like crazy if happy.

My suggestion would be if you're going to plant them, do it in a place where they're contained by a sidewalk, some railroad ties or some such barrier to out-of-control spread.

HTH!

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I don't have it in my current garden but I did have it in my last one. It's a very, very aggressive colonizer. Once you have it in the ground it's very very hard to eradicate if you ever want to get rid of it. It self-sows aggressively too, so even when confined (my initial plant was in a hanging basket) it spreads. If you don't mind thinning out occasional seedlings and runners, it's nice. I love the blooms and usually I like aggressive growers, but it's a bit too aggressive, even for me. Pretty flowers though--I can see why it's popular.

Take care and happy gardening!
    Grant

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

It's a weed with pretty flowers.

It will spread wherever it can find water. So isolate it away from your veggie gardens.

But it's pretty.

• Haname
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I'm glad I asked. :)

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Hardy. I loved mine. haven't seen it in the garden stores. If anyone has some they want to part with, I am up for it.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Hardy. I loved mine. haven't seen it in the garden stores. If anyone has some they want to part with, I am up for it.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I couldn't keep mine alive long enough for it to grow, much less invade. I have spots in the yard where an invasive (and pretty) plant would be welcome. If anyone knows the secret to growing these plants, please share.

• Haname
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ernie, I saw some at Summerwinds on Tatum. They have a small area of natives and these were among them.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

I saw a bunch at Lowe's in Casa Grande today, looks like they just got a big shipment. It is aggessive if it gets much water..have it going rouge on me here. The one patch I have, I don't water, it gets just a bit of run off when I spray off the patio and cool deck, so it seems to stay contained, and still blooms nicely, the other area that gets much more water, yep, it's trying to take over..

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Thanks!!
    Didn't intend to hijack the thread

• jephte7
    11 years ago

I have a full garden of them .... They are a weed in some places like mexico .... And other small parts of the country where it grows verry well ... Here in az it dosent spread that much ....It might be cuz i planted them in sand they are amazing and if you guys want pictures ask ... I can also tech u guys how to grow them ... Cut them so they wont spread or be nasty .... They do need watter but not like other plants if they die they will come back thats the beauty of it .....