Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Hollyhocks (pic)

grant_in_arizona
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a huge fan of hollyhocks and have grown them each year for many, many years. Several of mine have been blooming their heads off for a month or two so I thought I'd share a pic.

I grow them in all sorts of exposures, though my best ones get some shade from the afternoon summer sun. I don't even keep them on drip irrigation (though they wilt in summer if I'm away for several days, they bounce right back and the rest of the year they are fine for quite a few days).

In any case, here's a pic from this week which I hope you'll view and enjoy.

Burgundy red hollyhocks blooming in the back garden.

{{gwi:405300}}

I have a hodge podge of purchased, collected, self-sown, and seed-swapped plants. Some act like annuals, some like biennials, and some like perennials (and some somewhere in between, LOL). I do rogue out any yellow ones as I just don't like yellow hollyhocks (though I love other yellow flowers). Yellow hollyhocks just remind me a bit too much of their yellowing foliage. Even though I rogue them out, they do appear now and then in the genetic wheel of fortune that occurs with my plants.

If you're growing them too, let us see or hear all about them (yes, even if you like the yellow flowered ones!). I think they're great and I'm a huge fan of any flowering plant that gets taller than I am (these are already around 8 feet tall).

Take care,

Grant

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax