Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub Recom. for Shaded Area

Posted by CactusGirly Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:55

We have a backyard surrounded by view fencing. In the Northwest corner we have two large Sissoo trees. We are looking for a nice, evergreen shrub to provide privacy in that area. The shrub would get morning sun, but would be in shade most of the time, under the Sissoos. Looking for it to be about 4-5 feet high, 5-6 feet long. Soil is dry, but has drip irrigation. Nothing poisonous to dogs. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub Recom. for Shaded Area

What about pittosporum? The variegated varieties are pretty for shade, and they tolerate salty soils, which is great for this area.

o

Some plants prefer morning sun ... Diclyptera, and that evergreen shrub I can never remember, with deep green leaves and white fragrant flowers and thorns. (ADDING: it's Natal plum, Carissa Macrocarpa)

And the succulents: many agaves and yuccas prefer afternoon shade, as do Sanseverias and many aloes. Mother of millions, some of the jasmines, desert nicotiana (white fragrant flowers on rambling sprawly shrub)

You can also grow spider plants outdoors here, and asparagus ferns.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:18

o

How about Aucuba Japonica? It's a beautiful shrub that will grow in shade. Or nandina, aka Heavenly Bamboo. If you're looking for a shrub that screens views from the ground up, it's a great choice. http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1883/sienna-sunrise-heavenly-bamboo.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Aucuba Japonica

o

Thank you all for the recommendations. Tomatofreak - I will definitely check out Heavenly Bamboo, as privacy screening is our top concern.

o

I think you'd like nandina then; it stays full from top to bottom. The one next door is about 6' tall. I don't know why this plant doesn't come up more often when folks talk about wanting a privacy hedge. It's full, it's evergreen and it needs very little care.

o

Dang, I forgot to post the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavenly Bamboo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here